Vacuum leak hunting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tin Man

Reaction score
I lost suddenly cruise control while driving and after that also the fresh air intake stops occasionally. Even with fan at full speed there's no air coming in. I'm pretty sure both are symptoms of vacuum leak and since it appeared so suddenly I even believe it might be just loose line somewhere but where?

Since I had cylinder head work done recently it could be somewhere under the hood rather than inside dashboard. Can you give me any hint, where does the vacuum line go under the hood and where to search for leak? I gave it a quick 5 minute look and there was nothing obvious but before disassembling the dashboard I'd like to make sure I won't do it for nothing.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the jeep and what model? Most newer jeep are electronically controlled cruise control.
In the older vehicles we used to use a spray bottle filled with water and sprayed the hoses and when the engine picked up on the rpm's that was where the leak was. Now everything is controlled by a computer.

Tin Man

Reaction score
It's 2005 with 3.7L engine and I hope I have located the leak. It seems to be the line to the cruise control servo which hasn't been properly fixed and it has been rubbing against intake manifold. Didn't take it apart yet but if that's indeed the cause it will be pretty quick and easy fix.