Vaccuum hose keeps splitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATP

Reaction score
On our 2002 Liberty Limited there is a 4 inch appx. hose by the fuel tank that keeps splitting and leaking making a hiss noise and a check engine light come on. What is this hose and why would it do this? Also what would it affect?

Also my dad keeps trying to tell me the rims on our 2004 Liberty Sport only fit 215/70R16 Wrangler tires,which I know is false because I've seen other libbys with the same rim and different tires...but I just want some backup so he will quit telling me this...

And also if anybody here could help me out, is it REQUIRED to bleed the brakes after installing a new brake booster even though the brakes feel and work great? (this is regarding a 94 S10 Blazer).

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hose might have to do with the vapor collection system or possibly the leak detection system (if your Jeep has that)? Not real sure, if you can get any kind of image showing where it is that would help.

On the rims I have the stock steel rims and replaced my 215/75s with some 245/75s, no problems so far in 25K miles.

Lastly on the brakes, I've always been told anytime you open the system up you want to bleed the lines to ensure there is no air in the system. Better a bit of frustration now than faulty brakes down the road.

ATP

Reaction score
The hose might have to do with the vapor collection system or possibly the leak detection system (if your Jeep has that)? Not real sure, if you can get any kind of image showing where it is that would help.

On the rims I have the stock steel rims and replaced my 215/75s with some 245/75s, no problems so far in 25K miles.

Lastly on the brakes, I've always been told anytime you open the system up you want to bleed the lines to ensure there is no air in the system. Better a bit of frustration now than faulty brakes down the road.

I'll try and get a picture today. Also, how could air get in the lines if I didn't touch the lines?

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Answers

Only certain width tires are recommend for rims of a certain width. However, you're not limited to just one tire size. You can go as tall as you want, so long as they don't rub. You can't go much bigger than 245/70/16 without some rubbing issues. Changing your tire size will affect your speedometer and your odometer. Larger tires will make it appear that you are going faster and driving further than you actually are. They will also minimally hurt your mileage. Smaller tires will have the opposite effect. The disadvantage to smaller tires is a smaller footprint, which means less traction.

As stated above, you don't need to bleed the brakes if you didn't open the brake lines. But the service manual shows that you have to open the lines to replace the brake booster, and therefore it is recommended that you bleed them. After bleeding them, be sure to check the level of brake fluid in the reservior.

Last edited:

ATP

Reaction score
Only certain width tires are recommend for rims of a certain width. However, you're not limited to just one tire size. You can go as tall as you want, so long as they don't rub. You can't go much bigger than 245/70/16 without some rubbing issues. Changing your tire size will affect your speedometer and your odometer. Larger tires will make it appear that you are going faster and driving further than you actually are. They will also minimally hurt your mileage. Smaller tires will have the opposite effect. The disadvantage to smaller tires is a smaller footprint, which means less traction.

As stated above, you don't need to bleed the brakes if you didn't open the brake lines. But the service manual shows that you have to open the lines to replace the brake booster, and therefore it is recommended that you bleed them. After bleeding them, be sure to check the level of brake fluid in the reservior.

Maybe on other vehicles, not this S10 Blazer, either way the fluid is poop brown and could use some new juice so I might as well.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, having poop in the brake lines isnt good. :)

Ive never had any problems with that hose but Ive read about a few other people needing to replace it. It has a vacuum on it to test for leaks in the evap system.

Im not sure on the width on those sport rims. If they are 7" rims you should be ok with a 235 tire.

ATP

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Our family mechanic is bringing it in to his work (toyota dealer) and they are going to go from my tip on it having to do with the EVAP system thanks to the help from y'all.

We shall see what all is messed up with it Wed. afternoon.

And so with the rim question answered, what would be the biggest tires I can fit with maybe a little rubbing, but nothing absurd...like 245/70R16's??? A little rubbing wont be a problem considering everything around the Sports wheel well is plastic crap. Thankssss

Last edited:

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brakes

That came straight from the 2004 Jeep Liberty service manual. But your lines have obviously been opened if the brake fluid is brown. It's either mud or rust. If it's mud, it obviously came from the outside. Rust can come from inside the system, if oxygen is available. Both scenarios can indicate a leak. Hopefully bleeding the lines will fix the problem, but if there is a small leak somewhere, you may have to replace the lines.

How many miles do you have on the Jeep in question? I've heard a couple stories about 02-03's needing to replace brake lines around 100k.

ATP

Reaction score
That came straight from the 2004 Jeep Liberty service manual. But your lines have obviously been opened if the brake fluid is brown. It's either mud or rust. If it's mud, it obviously came from the outside. Rust can come from inside the system, if oxygen is available. Both scenarios can indicate a leak. Hopefully bleeding the lines will fix the problem, but if there is a small leak somewhere, you may have to replace the lines.

How many miles do you have on the Jeep in question? I've heard a couple stories about 02-03's needing to replace brake lines around 100k.

The Jeeps fluid and lines are fine, the vehicle in question was a 94 Blazer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.