Used CRD or new V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cainhune

Reaction score
So after reading forum posts all day I'm not sure what to do. I've wanted a CRD ever since I heard Jeep was coming out with them. And wouldn't you know it I managed to find a used 2006 that went into service with a car rental place in May of '06. It has 15,000 miles on it and is the color I wanted. But I've read so many posts today that seemed like pure horror stories. People constantly having to bring them in to be serviced and poor fixes for recalls. Does it just seem bad because people come to the forums when they need help or would I be better off getting a new '07 Liberty V6? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

dnm45227

Reaction score
if you want a crd then you most likely won't be happy until you get one.

if you get all the recalls done then you should be fine, just make sure they are done to your satisfaction.

i had the recalls done and haven't been back to the dealer since.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
cainhune said:
So after reading forum posts all day I'm not sure what to do. I've wanted a CRD ever since I heard Jeep was coming out with them. And wouldn't you know it I managed to find a used 2006 that went into service with a car rental place in May of '06. It has 15,000 miles on it and is the color I wanted. But I've read so many posts today that seemed like pure horror stories. People constantly having to bring them in to be serviced and poor fixes for recalls. Does it just seem bad because people come to the forums when they need help or would I be better off getting a new '07 Liberty V6? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Don't forget about the ones who think they know everything... makes things even worse.

I've had 9300 relatively trouble free miles out of mine... only problems I've had were due to the dealer... which was solved, Jeep works fine now. Love the sound... sometimes... other times I wish teh Jeep was quieter. Original EGR and well... everything else. All I do is fill the tank and I've done one oil change.

Both engines are rock solid.

I put 26k on my 3.7L, so has my sister. Neither of us had engine or transmission problems.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all people are having problems, I'm betting it's less than 1 percent by a considerable amount. People just don't come on to forums and say how much they love their trouble free CRDs. They climb all over all the sites if they think they've been done dirt, just like the general population on just about any day on other subjects.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
CRD4Liberty said:
Not all people are having problems, I'm betting it's less than 1 percent by a considerable amount. People just don't come on to forums and say how much they love their trouble free CRDs. They climb all over all the sites if they think they've been done dirt, just like the general population on just about any day on other subjects.
Exactly! That's why I always ask people whether they have issues in person.... they always say no... \:D/

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
if you want a crd then you most likely won't be happy until you get one.

if you get all the recalls done then you should be fine, just make sure they are done to your satisfaction.

i had the recalls done and haven't been back to the dealer since.

I will agree with that first line, once you get diesel fever it never goes away. LOL

The only real problem that doesnt have a solid solution IMO is the Torque Converter, I give it 6 months and even that will be fixed, it will probably be an aftermarket fix like most others folks have come up with for the CRD. And do remember when people have problems they come to places like this to voice their opinions, so yes the horror stories are concentrated in just a few places.

Make them work the best chrysler warranty into the deal and if you like it go for it.

cainhune

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm going to go test drive the CRD in an hour or so and had another quick question. I know the dealer is going to try and screw me on the warranty. Currently the window sticker says the remainder of the 3/36k warranty. However I thought Five Star Certified Pre-owned vehicles got an 8/80k warranty. According to DCX website this is what you should get with a CPO:

# Factory-backed 8-Year / 80,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty †
# 3-Month / 3,000-Mile Maximum Care® Limited Warranty ‡
# CARFAX Vehicle History Report
# Rigorous 125-point inspection
# 24-Hour Towing and Roadside Assistance §
# Car Rental Allowance ¶
# Owner loyalty communications and service coupons

All certified Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge Pre-Owned Vehicles must pass a history check and rigorous 125-point mechanical and appearance inspection. Each is factory backed with an 8-year/80,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty. *See participating dealer for details and a copy of the warranty. Only our Five Star Dealers can select and market Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles. It's an extra layer of security, available only with Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles, and a commitment that you can carry with you for many miles to come. For more information, call 800-677-5782.

Has anyone actually gotten this warranty with their CPO? Because it seems like this is a better one then what came with the car originally.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Often times certifgied used cars come with better powertrain warranties than new ones. This is becuase it's easy to tell whether an engine is goign to last a long time after it's broken in and some miles are on it. There's no way to tell how long a fresh engine is going to last until it's used a bit. However, the odds of an actual engine or transmission failure over an 80k mile period is pretty low.

Conversely - the warranty covering electronics etc. is poor (typically a year or so). These are the items that break the most. If your ECU and various sensors fail tough.

In this case you will be covered under standard warranty terms until the stock 36k mile warranty expires. After that the ONLY things that 80k mile warranty will cover is physical engine parts (crankshaft, pistons, camshafts, valves, valvesprings), transmission, driveshaft and differential.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that 3mo 3000 mile max care is what you want......except you want the highest mileage you can get. 100K is tops I think. There are different deductible levels on these warranties so be aware of what that is.

It wont be cheap warranty, but if you want to keep the beast for a long time it is worth it. Generally extended warranties are a bad idea, but one trip to the shop for a bad ****** could cost you well over $1500 dollars, plus I would rather say to myself in 7-10 years " well I guess that warranty was a waste of money" than to be sitting in the passengers seat of a tow truck beating my head on the dash because I didnt get it.

cainhune

Reaction score
The test drive went well on monday. I drove the 3.7 V6 right after the CRD on the same route up the interstate and back again. I've had a few months of experience drive my mom's V6 and I was right the CRD really does have more get up and go. The only thing I'm concerned about now is the fact that the truck was driven for 15,000 mile in a rental car environment from May '06 till Dec '06. From what I've read here the break in period seems esspecially crusial for deisel engines and I can't be sure that it has been driven properly. Is there any good way to find out if the break in of the engine was done correctly?

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cainhune said:
The test drive went well on monday. I drove the 3.7 V6 right after the CRD on the same route up the interstate and back again. I've had a few months of experience drive my mom's V6 and I was right the CRD really does have more get up and go. The only thing I'm concerned about now is the fact that the truck was driven for 15,000 mile in a rental car environment from May '06 till Dec '06. From what I've read here the break in period seems esspecially crusial for deisel engines and I can't be sure that it has been driven properly. Is there any good way to find out if the break in of the engine was done correctly?

Man thats a tough one...I suppose if it was burning oil or getting horrible fuel mileage you would know they beat the crap out of it. Other than that it is hard for me to say. Maybe someone else can give some insight?

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
A lot more get up and go?

This engine is about a second or so slower than my old 3.7L...

Thats a full throttle accel run though. Partial throttle acceleration (everyday driving) is way better on the CRD. Well i suppose in detroit "everyday" driving involves a bit more than partiall throttle doesnt it?

I think it is just the feel of it that everyone likes..kind of like some unseen force pushing the jeep along. Its nice to accelerate quickly without having to rev the crap out of an engine.

cainhune

Reaction score
Sorry I meant it had an easier time up at highway speeds when I was merging and passing. I didn't have to get on the gas as hard to get it to go.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I just bought a 2006 CRD w/ 16K miles this past Friday. I just moved to Utah and I will be driving all over the Rock Mountain States. I went with the CRD because of diesel's reputation for efficiency, torque and longevity. I will probably put 30K miles each year.
I bought if from CarMax here in Salt Lake and I also went with their super-warranty. I brought it to the Jeep dealer here and they gave it a clean bill of health.
So far, I have been very pleased with it's power, comfort and how quiet it really is at speed (despite reviews I have read). I was considering a 2007 Rav4 V6 4x4 (I have always owned Toyotas) and I do not regret my decision.
My advice would be against buying a NEW Jeep. Domestics vehicles tend to drop in value terribly in the first couple of years mostly due to the crazy incentives that are offered by the manufacturers.

rzrbrn48

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member, just hooked up last night. I have a 2005 CRD Sport. I have put about 70K miles on it. At about 10K I took it into the dealer and did a flash (I'm not a tech person, something to do with the computer). At about 20K or so got a load of bad fuel, drove through it in 2 days, no problems since. Got a recall notice on the torque converter, took it in and the dealer did whatever AND replaced my ball joints per a recall I did not know about, and I don't think I needed. My vehicle runs great. Yesterday I was poking around the internet, went to L.O.S.T. website and saw all the dissing of the CRD's, came over here and picked up on some of the same. I burn biodiesel from the farm coop for the most part and use Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 at 5K intervals. I have had a great experience with the CRD. I just bought my wife an 07 Honda Element EX. Nice car, but my CRD is much stronger feeling overall, engine is quicker, stops in a much shorter distance, seats are more comfortable, much better ground clearance, 4WD works better than the AWD on the Element in the woods. It may disintegrate tomorrow, but up to now it had been top notch.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
rzrbrn48 said:
Hello, I'm a new member, just hooked up last night. I have a 2005 CRD Sport. I have put about 70K miles on it. At about 10K I took it into the dealer and did a flash (I'm not a tech person, something to do with the computer). At about 20K or so got a load of bad fuel, drove through it in 2 days, no problems since. Got a recall notice on the torque converter, took it in and the dealer did whatever AND replaced my ball joints per a recall I did not know about, and I don't think I needed. My vehicle runs great. Yesterday I was poking around the internet, went to L.O.S.T. website and saw all the dissing of the CRD's, came over here and picked up on some of the same. I burn biodiesel from the farm coop for the most part and use Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 at 5K intervals. I have had a great experience with the CRD. I just bought my wife an 07 Honda Element EX. Nice car, but my CRD is much stronger feeling overall, engine is quicker, stops in a much shorter distance, seats are more comfortable, much better ground clearance, 4WD works better than the AWD on the Element in the woods. It may disintegrate tomorrow, but up to now it had been top notch.
That's very encouraging.

Pics?

rzrbrn48

Reaction score
Sorry Marlon, I don't have pics. That is to say, I'm not quit sure how to put pictures on the forum. But it's a '05 Sport, black, gray plastic fenders and running boards (stock), tow hooks in the front, hitch in the back. I do want to put a basket on top eventually, and add two driving lights in front and two back up fog lights in back (for camping reasons). I also want to add an EVIC console, but don't I think I have the skill to do it myself...sure would like one though...my wife says I make Tim the Tool man look good...