Unibody or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the kj is a unibody or not? I always thougt it was frame w/body bolted on, but a guy at work say it's something else. He says it looks like the frame is welded to some sort of frame.

I would crawl under and look, but it's too cold and wet. Not to mention I'm lazy.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uni body. But a little different than your typical uni body on cars. It has 2 rails, is quite reinforced and pretty stiff. At the time it was the stiffest uni-body Jeep produced (stiffer than the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee)

dnm45227

Reaction score
So basicly a "next generation" unibody then. Thanks for helping me clear it up.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Exactly. Uniframe... it's basically a frame permanently attatched on a unibody, like previously said. 8-[
Think of it as a beefed-up unibody. I checked out the design when I first got my Lib and I haven't really heard of any complaints about it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I wonder if this is the reason why the KJ holds up extremely well in severe accidents?

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I wonder if this is the reason why the KJ holds up extremely well in severe accidents?

Safety, comfort and off-road ability. What more can you ask for?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, many people with zj's(idk about xj's) have problems with stress cracks in the frame when they get into big lifts and tires. I would think this would never happen with our uni-frame as DC calls it. I believe the libby has the strongest uni-frame/body out of any of the jeeps, excluding the wrangler.

2003KJ

Reaction score
priell3 said:
2003KJ said:

Safety, comfort and off-road ability. What more can you ask for?

hmmm several things come to mind....better gas mpg.... $1,000,000, not having to go to work....the list goes on and on...LOL.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
hmmm several things come to mind....better gas mpg.... $1,000,000, not having to go to work....the list goes on and on...LOL.

I think he meant from a car, so that kind of eliminates the last two. I don't think they've made a car yet that will call in sick for you or convert fuel into money.