Umm, Emergency or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I was cleaning the Throttle Body of my Liberty, with Sea foam when; the hose attached to the can, was sucked into the intake! It didn't make any noises or stutter the engine, but what's the dangers here? That has NEVER EVER happened before, till now... It's 6" long too...

Will it cause any valve or other serious damage?

I can't take the intake all apart, I have a kid that has a dentist appointment today, and well, I am his ride home.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, that could easily ruin the engine.

How did it get sucked into the intake? Did you have the throttle wide open or something? You should pour that stuff in with it at idle and only give it some gas if you think its going to die.

Not sure how something like that could of happened.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A small plastic tube like that could easily nick a valve seat or [worst case] cause binding / breakage of the weak KJ valve springs. If it gets injected into the cylinder wall, the melted plastic could take out your ring or mar up the cylinder wall pretty easy. Any one of these or all of these will lead to early failure of your engine.

Rent a car for the rest of the day and pull the the intake.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, it really depends on how long and stiff the tube was. Since the intake curves back under its self, the tube may just be stuck in the intake.

I wouldnt drive it at all till that tube is removed.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SHOCKED.gif(popcorn) Sorry about you luck man. Keep us posted on the out come

Last edited:

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was cleaning the Throttle Body of my Liberty, with Sea foam when; the hose attached to the can, was sucked into the intake! It didn't make any noises or stutter the engine, but what's the dangers here? That has NEVER EVER happened before, till now... It's 6" long too...

Will it cause any valve or other serious damage?

I can't take the intake all apart, I have a kid that has a dentist appointment today, and well, I am his ride home.

:p:D sorry to hear that, but that makes me laugh very hard! i can only imagine the look on your face. how long did you stand there looking at the throttle opening before you moved to cut the engine?:D

i say dont worry about it. just drive it. i cram all kinds of sticks and rubber hoses in my engine all the time. i even keep my gold pennies in the intake to. helps on gas. :D

sorry to laugh, but for real, dont crank that engine until you get that out. ive never took my top end apart on the liberty but it might not be too bad. just guessing... now the intake might be trouble getting off if it isnt sitting in the top of it. ??:confused:

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep time to take the intake off and find that hose,hopefully it is still only in the intake and didn't end up in the combustion chamber.Just a little advice it will save alot of headaches later on if you just replace the entire upper plenum.Since it is plastic as soon as you unbolt it it will warp,then leak.Never seen a plastic plenum that didn't leak after it was removed then reinstalled.Where I work we never reinstall a plastic plenum,we always replace the entire plastic plenum for warping issues.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep time to take the intake off and find that hose,hopefully it is still only in the intake and didn't end up in the combustion chamber.Just a little advice it will save alot of headaches later on if you just replace the entire upper plenum.Since it is plastic as soon as you unbolt it it will warp,then leak.Never seen a plastic plenum that didn't leak after it was removed then reinstalled.Where I work we never reinstall a plastic plenum,we always replace the entire plastic plenum for warping issues.

just in case i ever have to take mine apart, do you replace it with another plastic intake, or is there an aluminum replacement?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could try a vacuum cleaner hooked up to a long rubber hose that you can fish down into the intake and hopefully snag the lost hose back up.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, it's the rigid plastic hose that comes with a can of, whatever; you use when spraying into the throttle body. I was just about to rev up the engine, the throttle was BARELY open, and it just shot off the nozzle of the Sea Foam can, right into the TB. I see how the intake manifold curves at the base there, so it may be just stuck in there. Even on an angle, it may not be able to get in... It may also be in the plastic intake, above one of the ports...

There is no way, I can take it all apart and stuff, in this weather, and in the condition I am in (back problems)... The engine light was on, now it is off... IT was blinking on me when I was going up a hill at WOT. I know that blinking means, but there was no shudder or stammering of the engine.

I have a 80K powertrain warranty... They would have to KNOW it was a failure that was not, um, natural....

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 80K powertrain warranty... They would have to KNOW it was a failure that was not, um, natural....

Uhmm, no sir... I have NO idea how a little red plastic tube got into my engine! Must have come from the factory that way! :D

Your experience actually serves as a great warning, though. I was using some brake cleaner once with the little red plastic tube and the tube shot off through the wheel and I never found it (I suspect it went out into the street).

Those plastic tubes come off-- WD40 cans-- you name it. For something that's pointing into your engine, probably behooves us all to squirt stuff into our engines two-handed: one on the can and the nozzle, the other supporting the plastic tube.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never seen seafoam in a spray can.

That little tube might be rigid enough to not make its way all the way through the intake. You might have been getting the CE light at WOT due to lack of air flow or something.

If you cant take it apart, I would have someone else do it, that will always linger over your head.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I did a WOT today, no blinking CE light. When it blinks, that usually means a misfire of some sorts.

PepBoyz has Sea Foam in the spray can.

I usually use Marvel Mystery oil, but that does NOT come in a aerosol can, and I can't dump it in a forward facing TB. I dump that into the gas to clean and lube the fuel system.

I also use M.M.O. for my Smoke Screen device... Tailgaters, that puts them back... I use a wiper pump, and a hose, and tap into the intake tube. I have a button on my dashboard. When I press it, the pump squirts MMO into the intake for a WHITE SMOKE. I used to use Vegetable oil, injected into the exhaust pipe just behind the catalytic converter; used brake line to pipe it in, that was the ORIGINAL design. With MMO, it's safe for teh car too, and is a thick white smoke... I don't have it on my Liberty, or the Avenger, but my old Geo Tracker did.

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a WOT today, no blinking CE light. When it blinks, that usually means a misfire of some sorts.

PepBoyz has Sea Foam in the spray can.

I usually use Marvel Mystery oil, but that does NOT come in a aerosol can, and I can't dump it in a forward facing TB. I dump that into the gas to clean and lube the fuel system.

I also use M.M.O. for my Smoke Screen device... Tailgaters, that puts them back... I use a wiper pump, and a hose, and tap into the intake tube. I have a button on my dashboard. When I press it, the pump squirts MMO into the intake for a WHITE SMOKE. I used to use Vegetable oil, injected into the exhaust pipe just behind the catalytic converter; used brake line to pipe it in, that was the ORIGINAL design. With MMO, it's safe for teh car too, and is a thick white smoke... I don't have it on my Liberty, or the Avenger, but my old Geo Tracker did.
lol i just have 2 55w lights on the back of my roof rack to deal with tailgaters, and the horn from a semi for ********.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
On my former tracker, I also had two 55Watt rectangular fogs just under the rear bumper. I would turn them on when people high-beamed me from behind, and just would NOT turn them off, despite the sign language gesture...

The SMOKE-SCREEN was for just for Tailgaters. That way, people just think your motor blew, or something else BAD happened to it... They back off or pass... Police will think the same thing, if you use Motor oil. Marvel Myster Oil is a blanket of WHITE smoke. This IDEA was actually from my Grandfather, who owned a car that used to belong to the Mob. He found a button on the floor, where the high-beam buttons were? Well, he pressed it, and smoke poured out of the exhaust. He looked the car over, and saw there were pumps, that dumped the oil into the exhaust manifold from a reservoir. This purpose was to ELUDE cops in the day... I said, hey? That would work great for Tailgaters, and designed my own....

Latest posts

Members online