Um....what's a Knee Blocker?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got off the phone with my local Chrysler dealer. I told them I had these recalls on my vehicle that have not been taken care of. So they lady ordered the lower ball joints, and a knee blocker. She said they're on back order through Chrysler, and it may take up to a month before they come in, but she will send me a post card when they come in so I can then set up an appt. to have the work done. SO....anyway......I'm pretty car savvy, but wth is a Knee Blocker? And what is it's function?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knee bolster? Knee protector? Knee basher, for some.. :)
It is the place your knee rests against when you are driving, suppose to protect in case of accident, god forbid. I think that's what they are talking about. The dealer made a big deal out of it when I was buying my KJ..

I think that's what it is.. what recall could there be for that? install a softer one?! :-({|=

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The knee blocker trim panel on the driver's side may disengage and startle the driver. Its the piece under your steering wheel that is attached with some screws to hide the wires and components.

2002 JEEP LIBERTY Recall ID from NHTSA: 01V311000
Auto Recall Date: 20011004
Vehicle Component: OTHER
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 72000
2002 JEEP LIBERTY Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES. THE DRIVER'S SIDE KNEE BLOCKER TRIM PANEL ASSEMBLY CAN DISENGAGE, FALL, AND STARTLE THE OPERATOR.
Defect Consequence:
THIS COULD STARTLE THE OPERATOR, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE KNEE BLOCKER TRIM PANEL. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 26, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT DAIMLERCHRYSLER AT 1-800-853-1403.
Notes: DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION, 997

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that heavy to startle the driver..
It is already very hard to take off, i wonder how can it just come loose?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They changed them after 02 I believe hyedipin. I always wondered why they had different covers. Ive never ever heard of that recall. :-s

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
They changed them after 02 I believe hyedipin. I always wondered why they had different covers. Ive never ever heard of that recall. :-s

I see. Tkx.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:

I wasn't aware of one either....nor was I aware that they had been changed......how about that!

Just goes to show that when you think you know all there is to know about something, you end up learning something you didn't!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm....mine is extremely easy to remove. It says that recall was performed on mine though. (Aeh)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
desertkj said:
Ummm....mine is extremely easy to remove. It says that recall was performed on mine though. (Aeh)

Ahhhhh.....so you have the not-starteling when it falls off - knee blocker!!!! You need the "duck tape mod".

Dave

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 came with this crazy thing that had 2 huge metal prongs and 4 giant clips tha theld it in place. I had to use a freaking prybar to get it off. You should have heard the noise when that one finally popped.

My wife's -06 had this nice one that only used 2 clips at the to and was hinged at the bottom. It open up nice and easy. a wonder of moder engineering.

I had to steal hers. It's under lease, they'll never know. It's so much easier getting to my wiring for lights and such with hers.

Which way did the recall go? Did they replace my crazy one with the nicer one or vice-versa?