ugly chrome 17" wheels,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlr8

Reaction score
I have a 2007 liberty sport that I bought new and it came with those cheesy 17 " plastic chrome covered aluminum wheels(blarg). I would like to know if there is a way to pop these chrome inserts off with out damaging the aluminum. But I would also like to know what the wheel looks like under the covers. I would hate like hell to damage the cover while prying it off and then finding out the aluminum rim looks equally as ugly and not be able to reinstall the cheesy cover. If all else fails I may look for a set of 16" aluminum rims, I am finding out the tire selection for 16" is far greater then the 17" and cheaper too. Any sugestions or pics if someone has done this would be greatly appreciated. My Jeep deserves better:cool:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't like them, and are going to change them, then definately go with a 16" rim. Moabs are really nice if you are looking for a silver color, and soft 8's are really good for black steel type. As you said there are much more tire choices in 16" rims. My 05 came with the 17" rims and they are not plastic. Are you sure yours are plastic??

Dave

Last edited:

xlr8

Reaction score
they sound plasticy when you tap them. and definetly inserts. I am looking for the 16" renegade liberty wheels that are 5 spoke and the center of the spokes are dark grey and the rest of the rim is polished aluminum, I have seen them quite often on renegades. My 2007 liberty sport is pure white including the fenders with blacked out windows, black tinted bug deflector, black nerf bars, so I believe this would improve the look of my jeep as appossed to the chrome wheels. I'm still looking for a reasonable priced black grill guard or bull bar to finish the look.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just so people know I think he's looking for rims like mine which are on an 05 liberty Rocky Mountain edition.

The center of the spokes are dark grey and the rest of the rim is polished aluminum although you cannot tell it from the photo. I will try to get a better one of just the rim during lunch today.

attachment.php

REnny3d

Reaction score
I have an 05 renegade and i am thinking of selling my stock renegade rims soon. They do not look like the guys above my reply though, mine are the regular renegade rims not rocky mountain. If interested send me a message.

06 liberty

Reaction score
I have an 05 renegade and i am thinking of selling my stock renegade rims soon. They do not look like the guys above my reply though, mine are the regular renegade rims not rocky mountain. If interested send me a message.

how much are u going to b selling them for i may b interested

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I <3 the look of my Rene's rims. This picture reminds me of how much I hated those Goodyears though. And is a good reminder for me to get new lugnuts. Doesn't look too cool with the yucky, old, rusty ones on there intermixed with the occassional new chrome ones :)

You must be registered for see images attach

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Jeep with those plastic wheel covers. Aside from a little bit of rust from the clips, the wheels underneath were fine. (the rust came off with steel wool, BTW.)

I replaced the factory wheels with soft 8s anyway.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I have a 2007 liberty sport that I bought new and it came with those cheesy 17 " plastic chrome covered aluminum wheels(blarg). I would like to know if there is a way to pop these chrome inserts off with out damaging the aluminum. But I would also like to know what the wheel looks like under the covers. I would hate like hell to damage the cover while prying it off and then finding out the aluminum rim looks equally as ugly and not be able to reinstall the cheesy cover. If all else fails I may look for a set of 16" aluminum rims, I am finding out the tire selection for 16" is far greater then the 17" and cheaper too. Any sugestions or pics if someone has done this would be greatly appreciated. My Jeep deserves better:cool:

Hello fellow Albertan, just wondering if you have attempted to pry your plastic cover off yet? I am "Blessed" with the same wheels, and if it works then I might have to give it a go???

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow Clyde Frog, way to resurrect a thread! I'm sure the OP has figured out his problem by now. (OP date 11/2008)

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Albertan, just wondering if you have attempted to pry your plastic cover off yet? I am "Blessed" with the same wheels, and if it works then I might have to give it a go???

If the wheels you guys are referring to are what Jeep calls "chrome clads", don't waste your time trying to remove the plastic chrome facing.

If they're anything like the chrome clad rims on Chargers, Magnums or 300s, the aluminum wheel beneath is one ugly hunk of metal. You'll be better of livin' with them or replacing them, definitely not worth the trouble.