Tyre repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I plugged a tire in the driveway without taking it off once. There was a nail in it. I pulled it out with a pair of pliers. That glue really works. I made up a kit that I carry. I would add a pair of pliers and a couple of valve cores and valve core tool to the kit. They don't cost much. Auto parts stores and even wallymart sell that stuff in the tire section.

Dave

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes

i have two tyres with plugs atm

one was from a 6" nail from a construction site, i just let the air out of the tyre and plugged it then pumped the tyre back up

the other was on a trail , different tyre same procedure

they are holding strong 6 and 4 months later

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two HP's on my Jeep with plugs that I put in. Theyve been like that for at least two years and Ive never had any problems.

Pablo

Reaction score
These are great to get you out of a bind and I carry a kit. Back when I was in school-- and very poor, I used one at a gas station one night to pull a nail out and patch it right there-- much better than changing a tire. I drove on it for a couple years.

These are not as good as hot patch repairs (which seal the tire). The plug can decide to liberate itself-- and it most likely will do this when the tire is at it's hottest (at high speed). When this happens it causes a sudden loss of air (blowout). Thus, this is not as safe at high speeds as a hot patch. If you are going to use a plug follow the instructions very carefully. After installing-- I test the plug by overinflating my tire by a good 75% percent and I watch for the plug to blow out-- if it does not, I deinflate it to regular tire pressure and motor on. Watch the tire if you do this and make sure you don't blowout the tire by over-inflating it too much.

If you do a poor job with the plug, or the tire is damaged too bad-- the plug will blow out while you are overinflating-- this means your fix was probably not safe. Either work the hole some more and use a bigger plug or... go very slow until you get somewhere where you can get the tire fixed right (hot patch).

While I drove mine like this for 2 years, it would have been better to get the tire patched with a hot patch. Most tire retailers here do this for free if you bought the tire from them. I have relegated this to an emergency (temporary) fix only.

Latest posts

Members online