Two pictures from the EVIC..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I was taking the picture of 105 (Link) in my liberty, I decided to shoot a few more with other screens..

First one is Ouch.

You must be registered for see images

Second one is the PSI

2003KJ

Reaction score
Wow, you might try lowering your tire pressure a tad and see if that doesn't improve your milage. I keep mine filled at 35-36 cold, but thats with Nitrogen. Every now and then I'll have to top it off and I just add regular air to it, and my mpg combined with running BP regular has been up around 17-19 all city with the a/c.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try to keep it constant at 40 psi, tires state max 44. Door sill states 32, it is crazy because it thinks I have the smaller tires.
I feel better control with 40 psi, compared to 32 I was riding on, and I thought higher PSI should give me better milage since it drags less.. :-s

filled with nitrogen? 8-[ what if you get a sharp nail or a spark.. isn't that dangerous?

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
and I thought higher PSI should give me better milage since it drags less.. :-s

That is correct, however if you have TOO MUCH pressure, you get the opposite effect.

hyedipin said:
filled with nitrogen? 8-[ what if you get a sharp nail or a spark.. isn't that dangerous?

Then i let them (costco) pay for the damages. But Nitrogen is alot more stable than air. I rarely have to add anything to my tires during the 6,000 mile intervals I rotate and balance them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what should be appropriate PSI since the mech at the dealer set it up as 40 when he was plugging my flat. I am sure 32 is too low for these tires, since they are wide.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes 32 is to low. I still dont understand why dealers and tire shops (most of them) insist in putting 32-33psi in them. Like I said I run 35-36psi in mine and have been getting good milage.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always put 33psi (what it says on the door) with my 235/70R16 tires. You think I should increase it to 35-36psi. BTW what kind of tire pressure gauges to you guys use. I'm not sure my is all that accurate. It is just on of those pen (non-digital) gauge that I got at autozone for really cheap.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i put mine to about 38....40 i found was too hard....and 33 is way soft. get better grip/handling at 38 (for the 235/70/16 Destinations) I kept my Good years @ 40 psi.....never did much adjusting w/ them cuz i hated those tires, and by the time i needed to refill w/ air ( used to let it run down to 34 or so before refilling) I bought my destinations already (keep the Desti's at 38 constantly)

forgot the brand I use. but it's not the pen ones...i used to have like 4 of those........and all of them gave me a +/- 2-3 psi....so i bought a 15 dollar one.....if i can remember wtf it is....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know those pen ones give you different figure each time..
There is one gauge at places like rite aid or duane reade at the car section, it is similar to temperature gauge like these
they are very heavy and seem to do good job.

I rely on my EVIC %100, time to time i would check my PSI manually and find it matching my evic.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

Nitrogen is an Inert gas. Used very commonly in aircraft tires/accumulators etc. Also more stable and predictable than air.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
this is the one i got...

You must be registered for see images attach

campbell hausfeld...

bought it @ wal-mart

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah those, I think the hose is removeable so you can plug directly onto valve

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
that particular one, u cant, but I have seen the one's w/ the removable hoses.....

i like how u can adjust pressure w/o having to take the gauge out.....it has a release button to let air out if u over fill

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cableguy said:
hyedipin said:

Nitrogen is an Inert gas. Used very commonly in aircraft tires/accumulators etc. Also more stable and predictable than air.

I will second that statement, Nitrogen is deffinetly safe, and like cable guy said, its way better than normal air.

Factoid:

The earth's atmosphere is something like 78% Nitrogen 21% Oxygen and 1% everything else.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes I also have a real guage too. The pen ones dont work wortha crap. The one I bought from autozone back when I first got my jeep cost me about $10...can't remember the name off the top of my head and i'm too lazy to go out to the garage and look at it. Seems like it's Monkey something if i remember correctly. It also has the button on the side to release the pressure and reset the guage. I love it!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I saw someone with a pen gauge checking tire pressure one day...

Couldn't do anything but laugh. I wonder why they sell those inaccurate things?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pppfffftttt. 34
Pppfffftttt. 32
Pppfffftttt. 37
Pppfffftttt. 32

(Same tire... with pen)