Twins in KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a two year old and we are expecting twins in Sept. does any one know if a high back booster and two infant car seats will fit?

3 car seats total!!!!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Infant car seats should be no problem. When they get older and you have to put three non-infant car seats or even boosters, it will be a struggle, but you can do it.

When my daughter, niece and nephew ride with me, you basically can get the first two in, side by side, but a lot of slacking of the belt and pushing up to reveal the seatbelt clip for the next seat occurs. By the time you're to the third seat, there WILL be four letter words involved, so cover the kids' ears. But you can get them on.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats.........you just need to get twin KJ's now........:D

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I only had one kid. There was no way I was sellin' the KJ to accommodate more kids.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need the front passenger seat all the way up pretty much for a rear facing infant seat sitting behind it which is why TigerClaws' gf hopes your significant other isn't tall. The problem I had with two kids is that the infant seat was so wide that it covered up the seat buckles. I put the infant seat in the middle and my 5 yr old behind me. I had to buckle her seatbelt for her because the infant seat made it almost impossible to reach the buckle. After a month though I got pretty good at it and it only took me about 15 -20 seconds each time. When the little one was big enough to be turned around it was great. They both sit on each side now and it isn't a problem. I think if you can last a year (the time before they can sit forward) you will be ok. It will be difficult though until then. I suggest fitting some car seats in the meantime and get the narrowest ones you can find.

btw: Congrats!!

Last edited:

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We couldn't make it work. The front seats had to be all most all the way forward. I couldn't get in and sit down. My wife could get in but looked like the steering wheel was in her chest. I traded my pickup in for a mini-van and now I have the KJ. Wife loves the Sienna and I love the Jeep. Some days we even love the kids. (when their asleep) :)

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Put a one of those dividers behind the front seats like cops,delivery vans have,turn the children loose in the back.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just let 'em run around in the backyard naked, let nature take its course.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a similar reason to why we just sold our Audi and purchased a 2006 Town & County Touring.lol

The infant seats wont sit side by side, they will take up too much room. The booster seat will set inbetween them, but with one of the infant seats being behind the driver's seat, you are going to be pushed to close to the steering wheel to drive comfortably.

Any time we need to take three kids somewhere, we take the van now.

Last edited:

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd sit as close as possible to the steering wheel if it meant that our son's twin would have survived.

We have him (2mo old) in a Graico. I had it on the driver's side and could manage to push the seat back into it, and was just taking him in and out of it; not taking the carrier out much.

But we're happier with it in the middle so the seat can go further back. Let's just say I'm tall enough that I don't get photo radar tickets in the liberty (face is blocked)

Last edited:

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my wife and I are both 5'10", we found our Libby spacially chalenged for four adults. Then we started watching my sister's 19 month old twin girls, and occationally have need to take them with us. With the full size car seats rear facing, both the driver and passenger are pretty much all the way forward. No new news here as you probably sumized from the earlier posts..

The big problem of course, will be loading / unloading the center seat. But, if you have a sunroof, and a spare motor hoist, maybe you can rig something up... Lets see... the boom could be mounted in the reciever hitch...

One last thought. I would imagine unloading three from the back may look a bit like "clowns at the circus".

Seriously, the twins will be great fun!

My neices are identicle (we can tell them apart). We are still asked all the time "are they twins?" A month ago we were in a restraunt with my wifes family. Her brother asked the standard question "are they twins?". I couldn't help it, and replied "No, they are triplets. The third is still out in the car because there is not enough room at the table..." The expression was priceless! Then, not 30 seconds later, the waitress came up and asked the golden question. Without missing a beat my brother-in-law replied - you guessed it - ...the third's in the car... We all had a great laugh as we explained the joke to the waitress.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You should be fine with three little ones in the back of your ride...
I used to load two car seats, then my two girls into the back of
one of my classic Mini's.
And it has a 4 point roll bar fitted. With a diagonal cross bar which
made it real fun for me at 6'5" tall!

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
Though it doesn't help you now, my wife and I put two boosters and a forward facing seat in my KJ with no problem. I just had to learn how to buckle the seatbelt while holding the booster up to expose the latch receiver. You'll see. It's not difficult at all.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though it doesn't help you now, my wife and I put two boosters and a forward facing seat in my KJ with no problem. I just had to learn how to buckle the seatbelt while holding the booster up to expose the latch receiver. You'll see. It's not difficult at all.
Forward facing seats and booster seats are cake. The problem is with the rear facing seats that are required for children under 1 year/20ish lbs. Two of those will be required and difficult to fit in the back seat without pushing the front seats to far forward.