Turbo Muffler...very HOT (literally speaking, that is)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a Borla Turbo Series Universal Muffler (model 40653 is what Borla recommended) installed into my 2005 Rennie. This muffler is less than half the size of the stock. I noticed at first when I stood in traffic with my windows down, there was this burning, metallic smell. At first I thought it was the usual smell of the city's polluted air, but after a couple miles to another long traffic light, the smell was there again. "This must be coming from my Jeep!" I thought. So I got to my basement parking garage, ready to check on the muffler, when I noticed an extreme amount of heat emanating from the bottom of my Jeep. Yep, it was the muffler.

I asked the mechanic what was up and he said it was because it is new and freshly installed. The burning metal smell is from the metal powder stuck on from hacksawing and welding the pipes; should be gone in a few days. Borla themselves say that is a possibility as well. As far as the heat, both the mechanic and Borla say that since it is half the size of the stock muffler, it cannot handle the heat like it used to; thus, gives off a lot. But they all say it will not be a problem... Of course, Borla says they can back that up with a "Million Mile Warranty".

I was just wondering if anyone has a similar experience, and I'd prefer the opinions of the actual Libby owners than the words of the corporate sales people or mechanics who work underneath a vehicles using a single jack and wearing no eye protection.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped out my muffler for the Edelebrock series, there was a strange smell for a week, but nothing overwhelming. Since then nothing.

(Woohoo! 200 posts)

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I feel much better. Now I can go back to terrorizing neighbors in the parking garage (it gets really loud in there!). (Argh)

I guess that heat thing is something I'll have to get used to.