trying to fix my libby....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nursenessa21

Reaction score
My liberty is misfiring on cold starts in the mornings and is starting to do it more frequently. I have had it looked at at the dealer, and they suggested changing my spark plugs, so I did that. The problem is still not fixed. My check engine light is not on, and after a fault code reading nothing came up. I have had two suggestions to have the fuel filter changed or the throttle body sensor changed. I don't know what to do, she is over the warrenty now, so its just up to me.
Has anyone had this problem? Its a 2004 Liberty Sport. THANKS SO MUCH!

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it just doing it when cold? Mine would stall out when starting in when warm. Turned out to be the cam shaft position sensor. The throttle body position sensor is also quite likely.

nursenessa21

Reaction score
It usually does it when its cold in the morning and when I am accelerating to about 30-40 mph. However, lately it is doing more throughout the day, not just that first one.

2003KJ

Reaction score
If it's misfiring that bad, it should be throwing some codes....

Based on the info you've given, i'm leaning towards a clogged fuel filter. How many miles do you have on your Jeep?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about at idle, is there any sort of miss at idle...go to the rear of the vehicle and listem to the tailpipe, it's usually pretty easy to hear a miss.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ok, I doubt it's a fuel filter at 36K, unless you regularly run your tank almost dry before you fill up (thus allowing all the crap that is inside the tank to get picked up by the pump, which is then caught by the filter).

I know you said it misfires while your driving, but what about at Idle. The more you can describe what it's doing (such as what the RPM's read under whatever condition (driving or idle) while it's acting up. The more info, the more we can help you narrow it down...