Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Limp mode and black oil. How screwed am I? I already overheated the transmission once 2.5 years ago and had the oil changed soon after. Now I have a P1745 and stuck in limp mode waiting for a time that I can get it to a transmission shop.

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time it was opened, tech found glitter in the oil

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glitter in trans fluid eek. Your line pressure has been to high for too long. This code is intended to protect the transmission. Solenoid issue?

The P1745 code is an informational code to inform the tech that transmission has been operating in an open-loop line pressure for 3220 kilometers (2000 miles) or 1000 2-3 upshifts resulting from a Line Pressure DTC.

Trans shop should scan it for all codes, command solenoids, but its sure sounding like they need to find out why it is stuck in an open loop.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh.. Black trans fluid, burnt up clutch plates/plugged filter ? Keep us posted. Make sure they know to only use ATF+4 !

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh.. Black trans fluid, burnt up clutch plates/plugged filter ? Keep us posted. Make sure they know to only use ATF+4 !

I took it to a transmission specialty shop. They said that the internals are burnt and looks like a child's art project with all the glitter in the oil. Going with a rebuilt transmission, cost wasn't much more than a junk yard find.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure that they flush all trans cooler, lines very well.
Hopefully you will be back in business again soon.:)

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure that they flush all trans cooler, lines very well.
Hopefully you will be back in business again soon.:)

I'll be sure to stop by and request it. Thanks

Any "performance" parts to put in while it's open?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You could inquire from your transmission shop, what if any updated parts they would use.
A larger trans cooler is also something that may be considered, if you are really running it in hot environments or pulling any trailers.
If you ever get a Trans Temp light the ATF+ fluid should be changed ASAP.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I don't know if you have the same transmission but the CRD folks on LOSTJEEPS replace the pump and add a Trans-go kit along with a better torque converter to handle torque better.

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silly question, will the ATS Diesel 42RLE deep transmission pan fit ours? My luck it will be just different enough.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, definitely will know that this will work since it's got testimonials with a liberty in it. Going to go full preventative and have the shop replace the trans coolers while it's drained out. I have a bad feeling that the front one has a pinhole in it that I might have misdiagnosed as a bad radiator which has since been changed.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is what mine looks like with trans Skid below. Maybe got 2 fingers to plate.
I got the basic sand finish, then used high temp matt spray paint black.
It was installed 10 years ago with a 42RLE lubelocker gasket, no leaks since.
You must be registered for see images attach

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked the Jeep up yesterday. If it couldn't be replaced, they pressure tested and all came back good. Was told that there was going to be hard shifts for the first few hundred miles. Mostly feeling it from 1st to 2nd when I anticipate the shift.

The fix one thing, an unrelated item breaks saga continues. Drivers side window won't auto-up anymore. Going to check the connections when I get a chance. Maybe get the shop to fix it.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Picked the Jeep up yesterday. If it couldn't be replaced, they pressure tested and all came back good. Was told that there was going to be hard shifts for the first few hundred miles. Mostly feeling it from 1st to 2nd when I anticipate the shift.

The fix one thing, an unrelated item breaks saga continues. Drivers side window won't auto-up anymore. Going to check the connections when I get a chance. Maybe get the shop to fix it.
You can get a replacement switch unit cheap these days. Super easy to replace. 30$ and a pop and swap. Don’t need any tools save something to pop the panel out with!

Homeward_Bound

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get a replacement switch unit cheap these days. Super easy to replace. 30$ and a pop and swap. Don’t need any tools save something to pop the panel out with!
I know how to fix it, but on principle it worked before it went in to the shop.

Latest posts

Members online