Transmission Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Transmission Issues UPDATE: FIXED!

As you guys know, I've been around a LONG time but never kept a Jeep *this* long. I *still* love my KK more than some of my family but it really let me down this past Thursday. :(

Driving along to pay my tuition bill on Thursday... (and taking my friend to buy a car)...

I was riding along on the freeway, noticed that my Jeep was driving really funny that day, and seemed to downshift a lot. I thought OK, maybe there's a lot of ice buildup in the wheels and underbody. I would EVENTUALLY stop and clear it all out with some hot water at the spray wash.

The Jeep didn't have much power on Thursday. Every time I'd accelerate to 70, I'd end up back down to 55-60MPH and the torque converter would never freaking lock. So instead of rolling around at about 2200RPM, I'd be at 3000RPM. Figured I was just too distracted with driving and talking to the motor mouth sitting next to me that I wasn't paying enough attention to keeping up my speed.

So it's time to get off of I-696 W and hop on I-275 S, headed towards Ypsilanti.

I'm still struggling to keep up speed, and hit the gas to get to 70MPH and that's when it just ****** and redlined like it was in neutral. I checked to see if I was in drive... yup. It then decided that 2nd gear was the only gear in existence. No 1st, no 3rd, no 4th. So why is it doing this? After enough of that I just pulled over at the gas station and got rid of the ice in my wheels. Started it back up, performed perfectly until it was time to shift into 3rd and the same thing started all over again. Considering I'm so close, I just took the side streets and thankfully there was snow on the ground and nobody was going faster than 40MPH which for me, stuck in 2nd, was 3000RPM. We eventually made it to our destination, took a break from car buying (unsuccessful BTW) and I went to the car wash, disconnected the battery and knocked out as much ice as I could. It was everywhere. It already started driving better, reduced weight I guess, but just like before, the 3rd gear problem kicked in again. We limped it back to our respective homes, I may have driven a total of 120 miles in this condition.

Then after I dropped her off at home, I stopped at the local party store for some Gatorade and some "other" stuff my buddy asked me to pick up since I was on my way over there... and that's when the ding and CEL appeared. I'm getting codes P0733 and P1790.

If I turn it off, start it back up and put the selector in "2" instead of Drive, 1st and 2nd gears operate normally.

We won't get started with averaging 10MPG over the last few MONTHS. Everyone that has seen me drive knows that I drive like a grandpa. A crazy grandpa, but a grandpa.

Time for a new transmission I guess. My Jeep has 83,000 miles on it. :(

It's Chrysler's problem now!!!!

At least I have this Dodge Dart to drive in the meantime, so I'm not without a vehicle!!!

Also: Considering how strong the smell of rubber was after all that 5000+RPM driving, pretty sure I'm now gonna need a new serpentine belt. Guess I'll take care of that after I get it back. Hopefully I can make it home to install it!!

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It didn't let you down, it disappointed you. And a lot of other KK owners.:(.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty work, I hope...??

...PS glad to see they brought the key trick back with the newer KKs. They got rid of it from 2005-2007 didn't they?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope it's simple and/or at no cost to you.

Either way, it still *****. :(

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Just called for an update. Unless he's lying to me in an effort to get me to shut up, it should be done this afternoon but he has not said WHAT was done.

And apparently my front diff was leaking.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good isn't more snow coming. We left my house at 10:00 on our way to Northville now.
With the way my mom drives should be there by noon.:).

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't leak, I don't care. :)

Regarding the front diff, it was leaking front and back. *I* didn't even notice this. Glad they noticed it! It must have just very recently started because they didn't catch it during the oil change there just a few weeks ago.

Oh and my friend got her "new" car... at another dealer, for a lower price. Go figure. Things happen for a reason, huh? Just a different color.

Last edited: