Transmission Hesitates ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here, first post. I have an '06 Liberty Sport, and I think I may have some tranmission problems. I'm not sure if this happens all the time, but if do a hard take off from a stop it seems like the ****** hesitates shifting to 2nd, seems no problems from a slow start..any thoughts?

Thanks,

Felix

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power reduction module of ESP kicking in to prevent any wheel spin?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced that yet, but mine will hesitate when you're going real slow up a hill, like slow enough for it to shift from 2nd to 1st. Unless you let off the gas so it can go into 1st, it'll act all confused like it doesn't know what to do. I've gotten used to it now, but it's still kinda annoying.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddo said:
The power reduction module of ESP kicking in to prevent any wheel spin?

Well from what little I know about "ESP" that could be it. Like I said it seems to only happen on a hard take off from a stop.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
I haven't experienced that yet, but mine will hesitate when you're going real slow up a hill, like slow enough for it to shift from 2nd to 1st. Unless you let off the gas so it can go into 1st, it'll act all confused like it doesn't know what to do. I've gotten used to it now, but it's still kinda annoying.

This has not happen to me yet, seems to downshift just fine.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should've been more clear I suppose. The only time I really notice the hesitation from 2nd to 1st is when I'm parking at my apartment. I live on a steep hill and it does it when I'm slowly pulling up the hill to my parking spot. I can tell when it's about to start hesitating so I just let off the gas for a second and then start to go again. I've noticed my mother's 05 Limited does it sometimes too. I'm not too worried about though, it's one of those "little things" I guess.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far a really like the thing, its just this issue that bugs a little, also rattle from the tailgate area, I'll have to find that out and kill it.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That tailgate rattle was mentioned somewhere on here. If I remember correctly, there's a little black plastic thing on the door jamb where the tailgate meets the latch. Supposedly you can adjust that thing somehow but I haven't tried it.

FrenchCamp49er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
That tailgate rattle was mentioned somewhere on here. If I remember correctly, there's a little black plastic thing on the door jamb where the tailgate meets the latch. Supposedly you can adjust that thing somehow but I haven't tried it.

Thanks, I'll try looking for that, it does sound like plastic rattling.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FrenchCamp49er said:
06Liberty said:

Thanks, I'll try looking for that, it does sound like plastic rattling.

Pop the rear glass open, and near the latch you'll see a little like 1" square pad that the glass pushes on when it closes. Put some grease on it. Voila!

That's solves it about 99% of the time, you may have to get freaky and adjust the tailgate though.