Transfer case swap (beyond the mechanical)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beartard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a lower-mileage-than-mine 242 transfer case with the intention of swapping out my 231 model. It's an '02 Liberty Limited. I've read the HOWTO on swapping out the transfer case, as well as the relevant bits of the service manual and the Haynes manual. So I feel pretty good about the mechanical swap-out once I get the new shifter.

I'm wondering about the electrical part of it all, though. Nobody seems to have mentioned how the Jeep will know the difference between the two transfer cases. The position sensors seem to be identical on both, giving the same resistances for the same five positions (using either of two positions for neutral on the 231). This might be a good thing for me, as the new 242 case has a cracked connector on the position sensor.

At any rate, does this swap require reprogramming at the dealership? What would I ask for and what would they charge? I've had problems with know-nothing guys at the dealership before. I want to be prepared if it comes to that.

[This might be better in the original HOWTO thread, but I figured it'd be more easily seen here. Mods, feel free to move it.]

Last edited: