Transfer case position indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
My part time 4X4 indicator light is on when the jeep is in 2X4 and goes off when I put it in 4X4(reversed). The stealership said that it was the shift position sensor on the transfer case. Does anybody have any first hand knowledge of how to replace this part or a manual print out of the process. I have seen a picture of it on this here before and it is located on the top of the transfer case. Do you access it from the top, through the console, or do you drop the transfer case?

Thanks again guys

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I would get under and take a a look, you still might be able to reach that from the bottom, depending on how much room is down there around it, otherwise you'd have to drop it, as I don't see reaching it from above through the console being an option, I doubt the hole in the floor is that big.

copenhagen6

Reaction score
Thanks for the view. What do you think would happen if I unplugged it. I guess one of three things, the light will stay on, it will go off, or we will all die in a firey crash.

Thanks

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
copenhagen6 said:
Thanks for the view. What do you think would happen if I unplugged it. I guess one of three things, the light will stay on, it will go off, or we will all die in a firey crash.

Thanks

The light will just not come on at all. I've done it with mine before.