transfer case mode change issue: 4WD FullTime -> 4LO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FoxChung

Reaction score
Hi KJs,

I am having some issue regarding switching from 4WD Fulltime/Partime/2WD into 4LO mode. When I try to do that, it's abit hard to pull the lever to 4LO position, sometimes it works, sometimes I need to try very hard, do you have the same problem? any techniques with it?

Jeepin Al

Reaction score
Push the lever to the side as far as it goes, if you don't you will have a hard time engaging, and sometimes I need to be rolling just a little to get it to go into 4 lo. I think it maybe the nature of the beast.

Al

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
it's normal..it is quite hard to get her in there....u might hear gear grind too...
but it is a bit easier rolling at 2-3 mph

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, rolling is much easier than when stationary.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Manual says to roll 2-3mph, throw the vehicle in neutral, then shift to 4-LO.

This works best. Sometimes if I need to be in 4low and im stopped, it will not go into low. In this case, I pull the lever back as far as it will go and hold it. I then put the ****** into D and it pops right in. \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For just going into 4 wheel full-time and part-time, do push it to the right as you pull the lever down. That is what I first found out.

I've also found that it's easier to go into 4 Low when not moving at all. You can also practice this when the engine is off (put the trans. in N).

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i put into R then back into D then to N.. then to 4lo.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The manual says what Miah said. But mine goes in much much easier and never any grinding when I am stopped and ****** in neutral. Don't know why but it does so that's the way I do it.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
The manual says what Miah said. But mine goes in much much easier and never any grinding when I am stopped and ****** in neutral. Don't know why but it does so that's the way I do it.

I was always taught to do it while rolling in nuetral at a few MPH. I think it just cuts down on the overall wear and tear of the Tcase.

Ill reitterate a good rule of thumb though. It always rings true, but almost always not until after the fact.

"If you arent in 4LO and you need it to get unstuck; then you made a mistake before you even started."

Following that maxim pretty much eliminates the need to shift while not moving.

But who am I to question anyones jeeping. I may laugh at you for half an hour if I meet you on the trail with a worn out Tcase, but I'll still drag you back to civilization. \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I like to see how far I can make it in 2wd since I have a locker. If I put it in low, its not as fun since I just walk through it like its nothing... 8-[

Members online

No members online now.