trans temp light... another issue after dealer service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:icon_idea: I installed a PML 1.5 quart over stock Trans Pan for the 42RLE do your have the 42RLE or 45RFE? Never had a temp light since. :party52:
Anyways if you have the 42RLE the new aluminum pan will keep things cooler and the extra 1.5 quart of ATF+4 helps!
A drain plug is standard and allows easy drain & refill when u need to. You can also install a trans temp sensor in new pan. Fits above OEM skid plate perfectly.
YourCovers.com 42RLE Transmission Pan
I used a Lubelocker gasket and has been absolutely leak free. Unlike the te OEM pan which was constantly weeping and the main reason (beides heat) I went to the PML.
50122[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry to hijack OP's thread but I'm trying to justify the cost of upgrading to this pan.
Is it mainly the pan being AL, larger, and having a drain plug the key features?
Also lubelocker doesn't seem to have a gasket for the 45RFE?? other options?

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Aluminum pan 1.5 quart over stock and drain plug yes, but the aluminum finned pan does not get as hot as steel pan, stays about 15 degrees cooler than a stamped steel pan.
If you are going to run one these pans off road, a skid plate should be used to protect it, as a rock hit on aluminum could make for a bad day.
You can use Transmission RTV sealant goop, you dont need Lubelocker gasket.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking the thread back :p

The dealer said they would look at my jeep for free considering all the problems i had with the service they did ( not just the transmission ). After two days, they found that the transmission cooler was plugged and that's what caused the overheating. Now that that the issue is found... they say that it's not their fault because all they do is drop the pan, replace the filter and refill it. Never having this issue prior to the ****** service... do you guys think i'ts possible that some of the pan seal goop or even a foreign object got inside while they were doing the service?

The ****** pan was leaking pretty bad after the original service and i had to bring it in to have them re seal.... then two days later the overheating issue. Now they found a problem...

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did they show you what was causing the plug?

This is all over the phone and they still have the vehicle. They said it's plugged... Idk how they found out or what they found at this point. Sounds to me like they didn't unplug it. I'll talk to them more tomorrow.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant imagine why a cooler would clog up unless something majorly went wrong.

Are there any threads around discussing the pml pan? How much more is the boss for the temp gauge? Beat gauges and such.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS IS NOT A JOKE!

I go to the dealer to grab my jeep and the battery is completely dead. The service guys grab a jumper kit to start it... it started... But then it dies unless you keep giving it gas... Just dies... Every time. Now I'm in a rental car and have a meeting with the service manager tomorrow.

Every time I bring it in I get it back worse... With the exception of this time... I couldn't even drive it off the lot.

Not one issue with the vehicle since the day it was brand new... Until I dropped it off there the first time

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully it is just the battery. The KJ requires reliable power. How old was the battery?
If it needs a new battery be sure to get an 800CCA under the hood.
The OEM 620 CCA dont last all that long.
Look forward to hear the outcome after meeting with manager.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery is 6 months old. there are other dealerships that I can bring it to but they already have my money and my Jeep is dead sitting at their lot right now.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
monroe shocks, struts and coils

Ignore the title. I wrote a couple page letter about my experience and handed it to the GM. He read it over and basically told me this is not how they do business and he is sorry for everything. He mentioned that they didn't know how the battery died but once it's dead the computer needs to relearn how to run or something along those lines... Blah. I requested that he fix everything and have the shop foreman go over all the work done wich he agreed to. Because of all the trouble he offered to do a flush/filter job and install a new trans cooler for free as a peace offering. I should get her back Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that is god news ^ !!
Free flush & a Trans cooler..that is amazing!
Hope Jeep is completely satisfactory by mid week for you.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that is god news ^ !!
Free flush & a Trans cooler..that is amazing!
Hope Jeep is completely satisfactory by mid week for you.

Thanks, I'm very happy how it turned out. Assuming they don't screw anything else up in the meen time... I'll be very greatfull to have my jeep back in working order. I sold some electronics that were not being used to get everything I need for the hd cooling setup:mexsmoke: Next weekend will be fun! Can't wait!

Last edited: