****** Slip and hard shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamileon

Reaction score
So I searched this forum and didn't really find anything that matches my problem so I thought I would post a new thread. I have a 02 KJ Limited with the 45RFE transmission with about 95k miles. It started hard shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears under normal load, but not to bad. It has slowly gotten worse and now when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it slips and then hard shifts. The hard shift is also now between 3rd and 4th gear. Also when I back out of my driveway and shift from R to D it either shifts hard or slips. But if I shift to N first for a second or two then D there is no issue. So am I looking at a new transmission or rebuild, or is it something simpler. Thanks for any help or advise.

UPDATE WITH REPAIR INFO:
So my KJ is still under warranty through the dealership I purchased it at, and took it in to get it looked at. First they told me they scanned the computer and got two fault codes.
P0700 - Internal TCM
P0870 - OD Hydraulic Pressure Test Failure
However I had no check engine light on when I took it in or ever. They told me it was a bad hydraulic line pressure sensor and they replaced it.

So if anyone is have similar issues as I was might want to have this checked out.

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also worth checking your line pressure sensor too. could be leaking, or like mine the tip was cracked so i dont think fluid was fully making it to the sensor.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also worth a go before just biting the bullet and getting it replaced is to see if the CVI numbers on a TCM reading are out of spec after routine service is performed.

kamileon

Reaction score
Also worth a go before just biting the bullet and getting it replaced is to see if the CVI numbers on a TCM reading are out of spec after routine service is performed.

So is this something they do at the dealership or something I can do at home?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this something they do at the dealership or something I can do at home?

Need a scanner that can read TCU codes and readouts. Usually any reputable transmission shop can do this for you at little to no charge. Dealership would likely charge you for the readings.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pan drop filter change you can do yourself as you will use ATF4+ but if your doing the flush i would get a jeep dealer to do it as you can be assure they will use the correct fluid.

Filter change is done before the flush as the detergent in the atf will breakdown things in the current filter and put it back in the fluid. plus you will also loose 5 qts of newish fluid in the process when you drop the pan.

If you go for the flush i would have dodge do both of it at the same time and not some shop with atf4+ compatible fluid that they would tend to carry.

pan drop filter change is ~100 bucks plus the flush uses 10 - 12 qts of whatever fluid retails for at the stealership.

If the flush is done they will also do a trans relearn as the fluid is all new.

Last edited: