Trailer Ball Mount Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tshikle

Reaction score
I have found a issue with the spare tire and the trailer ball mount. The spare tire is too close to the ball mount and not all of my trailer hitches will go on due to the style of locks on the hitch. I have came up with 3 solutions:

1. Drop hitch, but think I would have to have about a 4" drop, Is this too low on KJ?
2. Longer Ball Mount, I have measured it to need to be 13" to clear the tire, longest factory mount I can find is 10.75".
3. Open the rear door put on the trailer and then close the door. Doesn't work on all trailers for various reasons.

Have you experienced this issue? What did you do? (Aeh)

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought the short hitch to a shop, thej cut the end off, ground it all flat, welded it onto a longer 2" square piece, drilled the hole. Done.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added the longer

Hitch for mine.. yeah odd how it lines up with the tire.. longer mount was 35 bucks I think from my local trailer place

tshikle

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I was just on the web site. I saw a 16" and I think that would work fine. Probably going to order 1.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80232 is the part number on that site for the 16" ball mount. It will work fine and solve your problem. I don't see my 14" one anymore.

valkraider

Reaction score
I was able to get away with a 12 inch ball mount. I needed the 20 inch ball height so a drop mount was not an option for me.

Whatever you do do not use "extenders". Just get a longer ball mount... Unless it is for a bike rack or something light....

And remember that every inch you go longer is an inch further behind your rear axle you are placing your tounge weight. The leverage can ba an issue, and will affect your handling eventually...

Go as short as you can while keeping your trailer as level as possible (to avoid sway).

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the drawtite hitch that is already extended out further than stock. I had to get a 2in drop and it works great with my lift. 9in long i believe.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.