TPMS New Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with one of the sensors on 2008 Liberty Limited, with TPMS.

One tire is always reading low even tho' it isn't low.

If I just get a new sensor from Mopar do I have to "wake it up" with a tool, and then program it in, or do they do that on their own.

On my motorcycle I had to use a GM wake up tool to activate the new sensors, and then also a special computer device and program to get the bike computer to accept and use the new sensors.

What happens with a Jeep?

Thanks
dc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Most automotive or tire shops are able to test/ scan & then program & install a new TPMS.
This video shows the process..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most automotive or tire shops are able to test/ scan & then program & install a new TPMS.
This video shows the process..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Another SMA fan!

I really love the way Eric O works diagnostics to find the real problem.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks
I watched that video and I have been watching a lot of his videos in the last month or so. He works on a number of Jeeps, but mostly, or all KJs, and no KKs as far as I have seen.

It always sounds to me like he is saying welcome to the Self Made channel. But he's actually saying South Main. In upstate New York.

I'm sort of outside civilization here. The tire shops are rather crude. I plan on finding out who has what tool, like Eric's Bartec 400, etc.

I also am fascinated by Eric's scan tool and what he does with that.

My experience (of a mere 71 years) are that mechanics with as thorough a technique as Eric's are few and far between.

I'd rather learn and do it myself, but if Eric was near I'd trust him.

I have to take at least one tire in for mounting anyway.

Thanks
dc

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had posted in an old thread (or two) about my experience on my motorcycle. Those old threads, even tho' I new posted in them don't show up in "New Posts" due to the way they have set up this forum.

On my motorcycle, the tpms sensors were still working but 12 years old. So I replaced them with oem, as many of the cheap Chinese knock offs were known to not work, even out of the box.

I have a device that articulates with the motorcycle and the computer and allows a lot of functions, which happens to be programming in new tpms sensors. But the sensors are shipped in a dormant (battery) state and have to be "woken up". My bike uses the same "wake up" signal as GM. So a $10 GM (China) wake up tool woke the sensors up, my device programmed them and they work fine. Oem sensors there were $250 each but only 2 as only 2 on a motorcycle.

That's what I'd like to do with the Jeep but don't want to spend $400 for a Bartec 400. Eric may have the $1,200 model.
dc

I think Eric O has a video on GM sensors. They are plug and play, no tools required. Maybe the $10 wake up tool.