Tow Package...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ronin65

Reaction score
This is my first post after my intro post. In an effort to avoid the flames, I have spent a few hours on the interweb, this site and calling dealerships to find an answer and so far I have not had any luck...so here goes.

I bought a 2007 liberty. I got the options report from the dealer and nowhere on it does it say anything about a tow package. It does list some options for springs etc, but TBH it looks like a lot of the stuff listed is just a laundry list for whatever is on the vehicle.

These two items got my attention:

Customer Preferred Package 2TC
Customer Preferred Package 29C

The dealership does not know if these packages are already itemized in the options list or if they contain other items that you would have to know what the package is to know what's in them. Jeep internal stuff apparently does not break these down (or at least the info from 10 years ago is not available) and the service manager is going to get back to me after checking google.

So here is the spot I am in. My Jeep has a class III tow hitch receiver, transmission cooler and the fuse-able link (I forget the name for these now) in the fuse box under the hood for "trailer tow". What it doesn't have is a plug anywhere near the receiver.

To me, it looks like there is most of a tow package on there. I know it is possible that the previous owner(s) did this after-market; but I don't think an after-market assembly would have the fuse-able link built into the fuse box.

Were there different levels of tow package? I saw one thread on either this or another Jeep forum where a guy had the factory receiver but was asking about what wiring harness to buy etc. That guy apparently had some type of "partial" factory set up as well, but he had less stuff than I do.

I went ahead and ordered the set up for non factory wiring anyway, because the way my luck goes I always plan the worst. Any sort of insight into the way Jeep does their tow packages and any experiences with it would be greatly appreciated, even just to satisfy my curiosity.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy way to tell if you have the tow package is if you have the clutch fan along with the electric fan. The hitch receiver was probably added for a recall. The KJs have a recall to add a receiver hitch to help protect the gas tank. Do to tank fires during rear end collisions. They do not add the wiring harness when they do the recall.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first post after my intro post. In an effort to avoid the flames, I have spent a few hours on the interweb, this site and calling dealerships to find an answer and so far I have not had any luck...so here goes.

I bought a 2007 liberty. I got the options report from the dealer and nowhere on it does it say anything about a tow package. It does list some options for springs etc, but TBH it looks like a lot of the stuff listed is just a laundry list for whatever is on the vehicle.

These two items got my attention:

Customer Preferred Package 2TC
Customer Preferred Package 29C

The dealership does not know if these packages are already itemized in the options list or if they contain other items that you would have to know what the package is to know what's in them. Jeep internal stuff apparently does not break these down (or at least the info from 10 years ago is not available) and the service manager is going to get back to me after checking google.

So here is the spot I am in. My Jeep has a class III tow hitch receiver, transmission cooler and the fuse-able link (I forget the name for these now) in the fuse box under the hood for "trailer tow". What it doesn't have is a plug anywhere near the receiver.

To me, it looks like there is most of a tow package on there. I know it is possible that the previous owner(s) did this after-market; but I don't think an after-market assembly would have the fuse-able link built into the fuse box.

Were there different levels of tow package? I saw one thread on either this or another Jeep forum where a guy had the factory receiver but was asking about what wiring harness to buy etc. That guy apparently had some type of "partial" factory set up as well, but he had less stuff than I do.

I went ahead and ordered the set up for non factory wiring anyway, because the way my luck goes I always plan the worst. Any sort of insight into the way Jeep does their tow packages and any experiences with it would be greatly appreciated, even just to satisfy my curiosity.

The tow package included a hitch, 7 pin wiring harness, and HD cooling fan. The hitch could have been put on for the recall (rear gas tank protection). The transmission cooler is standard on all KJs. So no, you don't have the towing package it sounds like.

Ronin65

Reaction score
Now hearing about the recall, I definitely don't have the towing package...glad I ordered all the stuff.

The little tent trailer I am going to be dragging is under the specs, but I think I am going to look into mods for to bring the Jeep up to spec for full capacity towing.

Thanks guys.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the receiver added as part of the recall. I was tempted to get the wiring harness and set it up for towing a small trailer for dump/HD runs for larger items or even mulch pickup. Haven't done that as yet but I wouldn't start towing a camper or something of the like without the other add-ons.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now hearing about the recall, I definitely don't have the towing package...glad I ordered all the stuff.

The little tent trailer I am going to be dragging is under the specs, but I think I am going to look into mods for to bring the Jeep up to spec for full capacity towing.

Thanks guys.

Definitely doesn't hurt and you may find your A/C works a little better at stops or slow speeds with the addition of the clutch fan.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely doesn't hurt and you may find your A/C works a little better at stops or slow speeds with the addition of the clutch fan.

I can say that 100% it does improve AC performance. Even in the 110 degree heat here, it stays nice and cool after I added HD cooling.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can say that 100% it does improve AC performance. Even in the 110 degree heat here, it stays nice and cool after I added HD cooling.

I already get frosted ******* with just the electric fan. I don't think I need it much cooler! :Insane: