torque converter F37 recall 2005/2006 2.8l CRD liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popeyebedford

Reaction score
got notice from daimler to bring my baby in. they will changeout torque converter (as it may fail) and re-program tcm & ecm little less torquey...i'm scared to death the dealer will turn my baby into a diesel sucking hamster. she works fine now. anyone have a 2.8l crd? have you experienced the torque and shift changes daimler speaks of?

please email if you've had this customer satisfaction F37 recall performed. what were the results in your experience?

dnm45227

Reaction score
you could do a search, somebody posted a similiar thread earlier.

i had this and the lower ball joint done last friday, check engine light came back, it's going back to the dealer tomorrow for an egr throttle body valve. hopefully that will be the last problem i have for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
popeyebedford said:
got notice from daimler to bring my baby in. they will changeout torque converter (as it may fail) and re-program tcm & ecm little less torquey...i'm scared to death the dealer will turn my baby into a diesel sucking hamster. she works fine now. anyone have a 2.8l crd? have you experienced the torque and shift changes daimler speaks of?

please email if you've had this customer satisfaction F37 recall performed. what were the results in your experience?
I can still leave marks in the road from tyres. I'm satisfied. I haven't noticed any power loss.

popeyebedford

Reaction score
F37 torque converter recall

Glad to hear nothing ugly happened with recall. I too had ball joints done. makes me feel better it went well.

Thanks mates
Popeye
2005 stone white 2.8l CRD Ltd....

crd

Reaction score
I'm scheduled to have the torque converter changed Dec 28. LBJ's are on order. ](*,)

jim0149

Reaction score
F-37 Recall

I took the little BEAST in for the F-37 and LBJ recalls and had to leave it overnight. The dealer replaced the torque converter and flashed the pcm/tcm and replaced the LBJ's. No issues with the dealer and he knew what needed to be done. At this point I am pleased with the recall. The transmission shifts much smoother and you really have to pay attention to notice the shift points. It also appears my around town milage has actually improved a little. As far as the loss of some torque, I have not noticed a loss since I have not towed anything. Soon I will be towing a 19' center console boat and atv trailer. If it doesn't or has problems towing now, after the recall, I will take it back to the dealer and express my displeasure since that is the reason I bought the CRD. So far the recall geats a thumbs up from me and best of luck to all others. =D>

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
popeyebedford said:
what were the results in your experience?

Well, the wife took our Limited CRD in early Tuesday for the F37. They gave her an '06 Dodge Caravan as a loaner for the day (we live 26 miles from the dealer). The dealership called back at the end of day stating it was ready, but we were unable to pick it up as our 5 year old daughter had Christmas play practice later that evening.

I also had both front fog lamps replaced under warranty (lenses were cracking in two or three places each, but absolutely no signs of impact), as well as an intermittent ABS light on. The ABS code was determined even though the light was not on at the time of drop off; wound up being a rear speed sensor. The sensor was not in stock, so a second trip to the dealership next week would be needed.

I also found out that the transmission fluid cooler was in my F37 Recall Package....and that it's integral with the a/c condensor. That's nice to know that a perfectly operational a/c system had to be evacuated & re-charged simply to replace the trans cooler.

Now the fun begins.........about 10 miles from home, there's a 6% grade that is 2.5 miles long. Up until then, Becky said the CRD ran great, showed a slight increase on the avg mpg, and felt pretty good. Upon getting about 1/4 of the way up the incline, she said it vibrated / shuddered----just about like running over the rumble strips on each side of the outside lanes of an interstate highway. It even did the same thing on some smaller hills after returning some books to the Library about 8 miles away.

Becky then returned it to the dealer early again this morning, and was told that maybe the re-flash would need to be done again. They did the re-flash, test drove, encountered the same problem my wife did, and now she's driving a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix.

The service advisor stated they could have installed a defective convertor. If so, it will be three times that the transmission will have been removed and replaced. I'm sure the tech doing this job over again will be really happy.

We really love our CRD, but this is gettin' kinda krazy, folks.

Greg

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Sounds exactly like what I'm going through, minus the stalling issue.

I first noticed the increase in MPG.
Then it stalled.
Then I noticed the shuddering when going up a hill.

All problems were solved when my transmission was refilled.

I haven't noticed a loss of any power at all. I really like the way it drives now.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the telephone with my Service Advisor.

Seems as if my CRD Limited is getting yet another torque convertor.

This one will be #3.......two within 3 or 4 days of each other. I was told it should be ready Tuesday. I said something to the effect "that Tech is gonna love doing this all over again." After the Service Advisor talked with STAR Tech, and got the approval for "#3", he got the District Manager involved. Seems as if the DM is going to authorize to pay the dealership the full labor time for the F37 even though the torque convertor only is being done the second time......and at a little higher hourly rate than the original F37. At least DC is trying to keep the owners and dealers happy it seems.

STAR did tell my Service Advisor to drop the pan.........and if there was anything suspicious, as far as shavings or shrapnel, I'd end up with a complete transmission.

Can't wait for the phone call Tuesday to see what happens next. ](*,)

At least my wife still has the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix.

Greg

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm loving the increased MPG issue though, LOL.

I can't believe I averaged 24.9MPG @ 75MPH on a rainy day.

My old KJ couldn't do 24.9MPG at 65, lol... 23.9 maybe on a good day.

DC is currently trying REALLY HARD to restore their relationship with the dealers after they (censored) it up by forcing them to take vehicles they didn't order.

popeyebedford

Reaction score
Finally got my new torque/converter

waited all day and wrench got don and took for ride. Bad TC he says when he gets back. Will have to take out ****** again. Oh poop says I after 8 long hours waiting at the dealership.

But luck is with me and wrench finds out that when he flushed the system something clogged the spin on filter in thbe ******. Now is OK but definitely have launch power loss. Shifts smoother and more gently and mileage seems about same albeit I only came home (15 miles)

I did notice when was almost home some kind of a squeal, but couldn't make it repeat.

Seems OK to me...glad its done