Torque Converter/Clutch Problems??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sublime600

Reaction score
MY GF 04 Jeep Liberty AT,4WD 3.7L is having problems around 40mph then will last about ten seconds until you get to 50 or 55. It feels like you are hitting rumble strips from hell. It seems like its coming from the rear/driveline. The steering wheel shakes also. We just sent it to a mechanic and he quoted us 1700 for a new torque converter, valve body and new clutch. It seems from the posts elsewhere that it will not resolve the issue. I heard there was a software upgrade? Does this seem correct? Anything else to check? I really don't want to shell out 1700 for a car that going to be a money pit.

Thanks!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like there may be more to it than what you are being told
we traded the/our KJ at 70K for the "money pit" reason
needed new front DS as well as TRE's and the power steering rack had a slight leak
so I knew the day was coming
along with the near 500 miles a week my wife is driving @ 17 miles to the gallon on
$2.75 a gallon gas it was costing me way to much

The way I looked at it was this
we have a TJ for wheelin
we have an F250 for haulin
we need something that gets some good MPG's for DDing

Straight6Jeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have torque converter shudder. Does it do it if you have OD locked out?

How many miles are on the trans? Is the fluid burnt?

The Trans has many clutches (frictions) and steels. So, if the shop quoted you "replace clutch", that does not make sense. Also, did teh shop take it for a ride with a DRB hooked up to examine the computer parameters of the issues?

Has teh trans ever been serviced?

I also have a 2001 Grand Marq that had severe TC shudder. I switched fluids, and the issues went away. trannies are very finicky when it comes to fluid with regards to the tack, shear, etc properties.

The other thing, where are you located? If you are near Walpole, MA, there is a trans place that is second to none with regards to making the DC trans live.

richardkay624

Reaction score
Our 2004 limited had the same symptoms. The torque converter was replaced just before 70,000 miles. (under warranty) I have had no problems since the replacement.