Took the speed bump a bit too fast...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bram

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a proud owner of a 2011 Jeep Liberty here in the sandy Egypt. It has always been reliable, and today, it proved to be that again. I was coming back from my friend's place, and on my way back home, there awaited an unexpected surprise ...a speed bump ...ON THE HIGHWAY?! Yes folks, I was driving on the highway and all of a sudden there appeared a speed bump while I was cruising at 75mph. I noticed the speed bump too late considering that it was nighttime. I decided not to press the brakes, afraid that I could damage the front of the car once I'd hit the speed bump, so instead, I just let go of the gas and hoped for the best. Once I hit the speed bump at 75mph, the car got launched 3 feet high and I was up in the air for another 30-60 feet before I hit the ground. After hitting the ground, the car bounced another few times. After this happened, I let the car slow down slowly, and stopped on the side of the road to check the car. Nothing seemed to be wrong with my baby, and I decided to start driving again. I drove the car for another 20 miles before I got home, and I did not notice anything unusual. However, I am still worried that something might've gone unnoticed, and therefore I am seeking for your help.

More info on the car:
The car is completely stock, and its shocks have recently been replaced by new ones. It has 73k miles on its odometer. The car is well taken care of, considering that it receives maintenance every 5-7k miles.
Here are also a few pictures of the car, which might maybe help somehow:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Also, if you wonder about the size of the speed bump; it was quite a monster. Here is an image of speed bumps similar to its size:
You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After this happened, I let the car slow down slowly, and stopped on the side of the road to check the car.
.....And your pants!!! ;)
Sorry, but I'm not buying that a bump of that small size launched you 3 feet into the air and you had 30-60 feet of air time. Mythbusters tested the speed bump myths, and found the faster you go over them, the less bumpy it is to the car. If a bump like you showed launched you that much, you better check your shocks because somebody must have welded them solid.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check your shocks and also the alignment

The speed bumps there are nothing to the ones they like to put across the roads in Tanzania. You'll be driving along for miles where there are no homes/people/businesses and there in the middle of no where there is a huge speed bump! They make then 3-4 foot wide and 6-10 inches high, some you have to cross sideways with the lower cars ( well they are lower since there are 11 people in it but.....)
My arm still hurts 4 years later where my wife smacked me after I hit one way too fast in her Yota...

Bram

Reaction score
.....And your pants!!! ;)
Sorry, but I'm not buying that a bump of that small size launched you 3 feet into the air and you had 30-60 feet of air time. Mythbusters tested the speed bump myths, and found the faster you go over them, the less bumpy it is to the car. If a bump like you showed launched you that much, you better check your shocks because somebody must have welded them solid.

Hahahahaha, it was just an estimation. I will never really know how high that thing went and how much air time it had. However, since I'm guessing you're imagining exactly these speed bumps, I could understand why it may not seem believable. :p Here in Egypt, we don't really have even speed bumps. This one wasn't one either. It wasn't in a perfectly curved shape, but more of a pointy shape, meaning it could easily launch the car into the air. Either way, going over a speed bump at 75mph is never really a nice thing to let happen to your car. Thanks for the advice though!

Check your shocks and also the alignment

The speed bumps there are nothing to the ones they like to put across the roads in Tanzania. You'll be driving along for miles where there are no homes/people/businesses and there in the middle of no where there is a huge speed bump! They make then 3-4 foot wide and 6-10 inches high, some you have to cross sideways with the lower cars ( well they are lower since there are 11 people in it but.....)
My arm still hurts 4 years later where my wife smacked me after I hit one way too fast in her Yota...

Sometimes I believe that the reason our governments would be putting pointless and unexpected speed bumps on the roads is for them to purposely reduce human population hahahaha! I also think you learned a valuable lesson, which is to not take your wife's car! :p I don't believe there is anything wrong with the alignment, because if there would be, I think I would've noticed some shaking movements coming from my steering wheel; but it is completely fine! I am worried about the shocks though, but when I drove back home after the incident, nothing seemed to be wrong with them either considering that I did not hear any unusual noise coming from the car's suspension, nor any unusual movements. I am not an experienced mechanic, so I might be wrong! This is why I'm asking you guys for help! Thanks for the advice!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it a heave in the pavement (if it was paved) that was shaped more like a ramped jump instead of a bump?

Bram

Reaction score
First thing I'd check is the alignment.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't the steering wheel be shaking while driving (especially at high speeds) if there was something wrong with the alignment?

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the way I check is to drive down a flat road and let go of the steering wheel. If you drift then you have an issue. Also tire wear could show it.

Probably isn't expensive to have your alignment checked.

Bram

Reaction score
Well the way I check is to drive down a flat road and let go of the steering wheel. If you drift then you have an issue. Also tire wear could show it.

Probably isn't expensive to have your alignment checked.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice!

BDEE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that picture in your signature is of your Liberty, I'm slightly concerned that the steering wheel is that far off center and the front wheels seem to be straight.

Bram

Reaction score
If that picture in your signature is of your Liberty, I'm slightly concerned that the steering wheel is that far off center and the front wheels seem to be straight.

Hahaha, don't worry! The signature picture was taken when the car was almost brand new. If you look carefully, the wheels aren't really that straight.

Also guys, nothing seems to be wrong with the car. It's still operating like it always has. Thanks for the advice and support!

vette95

Reaction score
Man, here in Dominican Republic we have the same issue with speed bumps. They are not actual speed bumps, but midget mountains. They are not painted, so they're easy to miss at night.

My point is, I just got a 2008 KK, and I just don't care about these little ramps anymore.

But still, I would check the alignment. As LKW Jeeper said, just go down a straight flat road, let go of the wheel, doing 30-40 mph, and if it pulls to one side you need to align again. If you have to align, make sure they check also camber, just in case.

MarkJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually shaking is balancing, not normally alignment. I would have it checked. Did you also look under the hood for anything out of place or evidence of the fan hitting the radiator? Also check the top for a wrinkle showing that the unibody was bent from the landing (ask me how I know about those last two issues...). Make sure your tires aren't making a squeeling noise on pavement while driving straight. OK now it's 3 items I have experience with.
Mark