Too much oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAZDASPEED

Reaction score
My wife and I just picked up a 2007 Liberty Sport which replaced our 2000 Cherokee Sport totaled in a car accident at the end of last month. The purchase was a horror story....I've been back to the dealer for stupid crap at least 4 times. As part of the Certified pre-owned package (8yr/80,000mi powertrain warranty) they did the 25,000mi service which included replacing the oil.

When I got it home, I waited a little while to check the oil. When I did, it appeared the be what I surmise to be between 1/4 quart to 3/4 quart over the "safe" zone. I would say that the oil level extends about a half inch above the safe zone. I checked it again after it cooled off and it seems to be the same. At no point did the oil appear whipped or frothed. It looks clean and honey like with no bubbles.

My question is, should I just do the oil change myself (in the snow), take it somewhere else and have the oil swapped out, or just let it be. I've stirred things up at the dealer we bought the truck from and I honestly wouldn't trust them touching the Jeep ever again....going back is out of the question.

Thoughts?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Take your KJ to another dealer and have them check out the whole Jeep.
It might cost you out of pocket but it will be worth it. If in fact the oil is way to full as you say (And I don't doubt you) then that dealer who over filled it will be noted(At least here in BC)
Just for the record, I have over filled our KJ by as much as 1/2 a litre and haven't had any drastic catastrophic problems! Not to say that it is good for the seals and gaskets in the engine, just a stupid mistake on my behalf.

MAZDASPEED

Reaction score
Thanks Socks. I've pretty much gone over the whole truck with a fine tooth comb and everything else checks out ok. Filters were all replaced, suspension is clean and tight, brakes look good, tires replaced, drivetrain works as it should. As soon as I sell my Cherokee wheels we'll be pulling the newly installed widow makers off and throwing on a set of REVOs. I was just concerned that slightly over filling would be a catastrophic problem.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed if I buy the 5quart container of Mobil One at walmart it reads alittle high on the dipstick after putting the entire bottle in. So either mobil is giving me more than 5quarts(not likely), the 3.7 doesnt take a full 5 quarts, of that dipstick is messed up.

With that, I would take the plug out for a sec and drain some of the oil out. Ive never had mine 3/4 of a quart to high.

Worse comes to worse you will have to add alittle more oil back to it. If you dont have another car to drive I would go ahead and get 5 quarts incase you fumble around and cant get the plug back in. :)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Sort of off topic

Ya know, Our KJ just completed it's extended warranty period and now it's up to me (And my wife who actually wants to get underneath the Jeep and do all the yucky stuff!) to do all fluid changes. I'm going with AMSOIL Products so that I can get away with a Bi-annual oil change... (I know,I know...There are many people on this forum that don't buy into the AMSOIL Philosophy...But I do!)
I had a friend of mine who is a petro-chemical engineer take a sample of my engine oil this past week (Oil has approx. 3000 miles usage on the clock!)
It actually had close to 5500 miles wear and tear!
He told me that it was good for another 4000 to 5000 miles befor it needs changing!
All that for stock Chrysler oil label product.

I am probably going to get all sorts of negitive remarks about this...

I know, oil is cheap, but if it don;t need changing, why waste the product?

MAZDASPEED

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I'll probably pull the plug for a second or two and see how it's effected.

Latest posts

Members online