Tire Pressure display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thi is what the 05 FSM says regarding the system, I don't pretend to understand it but thought it may make insteresting reading for someone smarter than me.

Bob

The tire pressure monitoring system is designed to operate without loss of function for all types of standard tire constructions. (Function with different
types of run flat tire constructions needs to be evaluated for each design). The wheel sensor shall monitor tire pressure, air temperature inside the tire, wheel acceleration and the sensor internal battery status for all four active road tires and the spare tire, if so equipped. The sensor will broadcast this information, along with a unique 32 bit ID, to a central
receiver circuit located inside the WCM. The information received by the WCM will be decoded and stored in (RAM) memory in the WCM. The WCM will send bus messages to the re-configurable display module to display the pressures of the four active road tires in vehicle position. The spare tire pressure is monitored but it is not displayed. If a warning or fault condition exists, the WCM will send a bus message request to display the text messages and, when required, illuminate the amber colored ISO Indicator Lamp. Warnings and faults are described in more detail below. If the WCM detects a warning or fault condition at ignition key on it will wait ten seconds +/- 10% before sending the first request to illuminate the Indicator Lamp and to display the text messages. This will assure that the display module has concluded its bulb check period. The display module will request a chime once per ignition cycle for each warning or fault condition detected. A warning or fault condition will remain enabled until the problem causing the condition is corrected and removed/reset
The WCM shall continuously monitor for the receipt of tire pressure RF message transmissions from the wheel sensors during both the ignition key on and key off cycles. The wheel sensor ID’s and the location of each sensor (e.g. Left Front, Right Front etc.) are stored in the WCM non-volatile memory during the initial Manufacturing Plant Process, or during a service procedure, as required. The recommended placard pressure and the low-pressure threshold for the tires installed on the vehicle, are stored in the WCM non-volatile memory during the initial Manufacturing Plant Process, as described later in this document and in the TPM assembly process standard, or during a service procedure as required. (Note: If more than one placard value is recommended for the vehicle to handle a wide variation in vehicle load requirements, either an automatic (adaptive) means to set the low-pressure threshold or a customer selectable (reset switch) means to set the low-pressure threshold will be provided. For vehicles with optional wheel/tire sizes and significantly different tire placard pressures, the placard pressure value and the low-pressure threshold value shall be re-programmable by the dealer to accommodate the customer selected wheel/tire combinations recommended by DaimlerChrysler).

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skeeter said:
This is getting more confusing by the minute! My guess is badger has it right - all '05 Limiteds will chime on a "low" pressure situation, but only those with the $75.00 option get to see their actual pressures on the EVIC.

I agree with skeeter also.
Greg

roadrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: EVIC

VTNomad said:
The only thing I'm unsure of is to order 4 or 5 sensors. I've been told the EVIC comes programmed for 4, and the dealer has to reprogram it for the fifth. Anyone know about this?

I just went through this -- bought 4 and programmed them. The Evic then called for a fifth which I didn't have. So the system still wouldn't come on line. Tried to get the Chrysler technician to reprogram for 4 -- he hadn't a clue how to do this! My spare is a steel wheel; so any sensor won't train by magnet. Guess I'm stuck until I find someone who can reprogram the EVIC or buy an aluminum spare and have the 5th sensor mounted in it.

My advise: buy 4 sensors, but standby to install the 5th if you have to. If you can find a mechanic who can program the TPMS 5th position, let me know and I'll call him and try to get the procedure for my local tech!

Those with '05's have a different style TPMS so this doesn't apply unless possibly you have the "premium" system.

Jtimpe

Reaction score
When I purchased my 05 Liberty Limited CRD with the G package it did not include the $75.00 tire pressure readout. I asked if it could be dealer added and the salesman did not hesitate to say "NO! Its a factory install only." Now that probably is not true but I think he was just speaking from ignorance or confusion like many o5 owners are experiencing. Doesn't Jeep or Chysler have an online "ask a question" email program? Seems like a very basic customer service function.

JohnKJ

Reaction score
I attempted to check behind the well housing cover on the front wheels, but didn't have enough room to get a good look, so I don't know if the transponders are actually there. I did take the pressure in the spare down to 25psi and shortly after I was driving the EVIC displayed "SPARE PRESSURE LOW", so it definitely knows which wheel is which.

I also sent an email to Jeep, and am awaiting there response. I'm not expecting much, but maybe they will surprise me.

scrappy00052

Reaction score
tire pressure montioring

the standard frature has the stems on each tire the ligt will come on and the overhead display show low tire right rear. the 75 option actually give you the numerical valuse of the tire pressure.

Ihave a question when you put the spare on does that now regestier as right rear and the damage one as the spare?????????

jeb

Reaction score
I've got the '05 Renegade with EVIC and the less-brilliant TPMS. I really wish the one I had gotten had the $75 upgrade, and I keep wanting to add it. It seems like nobody can find a dealership mechanic that can give anyone a straight answer. I'd be very happy to hear someone have some success or get a definitive answer. I'd like to know what all it entailed before I go in and hustle my dealership to get one.

The quote from the FSM doesn't seem to reference the premium feature (though, honestly, how could you actually tell if it referenced it or not). That's kind of discouraging.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less brilliant is a good name for the system and also describes the service department at the dealerships in my area when it comes to getting any information on the system and the upgrade., I know for sure that the 2 dealerships in my area are clueless. I contacted Jeep customer service and received the usual canned reply, to contact the dealer and if they have a problem they can contact technical service.

Bob

rwpg

Reaction score
The system SUX

I have the TPM system on my 04. It has the in-dash warning light and the EVIC pressure display. I live about 2 hours from the nearest dealer and at this point the system is nothing but annoying to the point that I want get rid of the piece of crap.

Problem:
The warning light on the dash is permanently on. It goes out for about 15 seconds when I go over 15mph and then comes back on. There is no warning text displayed when the light comes back on, just the pressure display. The pressures are all at 34psi.

The problem exists when I have the tires at 32psi, 33psi, 34psi, 35psi, 36psi, 37psi, and 38psi. Still the low-pressure warning light comes on. The spare is at 36psi.

Some points to note:
The tire sensors read 2psi under what the pressure actually is. At least they appear to and I have checked the sensors against 4 different tire pressure gauges.

Questions:
· Could the sensor batteries be going dead?
· What is the definition of Low Pressure?
· It first appeared that the low-pressure waning light came on when there was a variance of 2psi between the tires. Is it just a low-pressure warning light, or something more than that?

At this point I’m back to using a gauge and ignoring the TPMS. Does anyone know how to disable the warning light? The EVIC psi readings are nice to have, but the stupid warning light is enough to get rid of the system. In my state you can’t get a vehicle inspection when a warning light is present on the dash, so much for a helpful accessory.

BTW: I use studded snow tires in the winter. The system doesn’t activate in the winter because the snow tires don’t have the sensors in them, so it just chimes at me. That’s another good reason not to have the TPMS.

Members online