Tire Pressure display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skeeter

Reaction score
My 2005 Liberty brochure shows this feature as being "included" (standard) on a Limited with "G" package - however I seem to recall looking at Window stickers that listed this as an "extra". I stepped through my EVIC displays and I don't have it. Also the Jeep web site shows it as a seperate $75.00 option.

I guess I am just making sure I shouldn't have gotten this standard with the "G" package (and that the brochure is in error). Can someone verify?

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '04 "G" came with it. I just looked at the sticker and it was apart of the package. Are you sure it's not there? That is such a great feature... I can't see not having it on any future vehicle.

LATER....
Okay, I just went and did a build to order, and dang, it does look like an additional $75! Well, see if you can add it for that price, as it's worth having.

skeeter

Reaction score
Mine is an '05. Looks like they changed it - that's probably why the brochure is wrong.....oh well...

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been one of the most confusing issues with my new 05 Lib and I still have not been able to get a straight answer from the service manager at the dealer as to how this system works and the owners manual is totally confusing on the tire pressure monitoring system (TPM), the issue concerns the light on the dash and what is displayed on the EVIC, in one section of the owners manual it states that a low pressure on any tire will illuminate the yellow dash indicator, another sections states that the EVIC will display which tire is low, the dealer tells me the EVIC display that shows all four tires and their pressure has been discontinued for 05, but the sales brochuer shows it as a great feature. the FSM says that the vehicle speed needs to be in excess of 15 mph for a low pressure indication, I am about ready to let the air out of a tire and drive around to see how this thing works, or if it does at all,
The FSM indicated that there is a tire pressure monitoring transducers in the fender well of all wheels except the left rear and I cannot find any.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I have been trying to figure this system for over a month

Bob

skeeter

Reaction score
Does your sticker (if you still have it) show the tire pressure feature and if so, is it "part" of the "G" package or seperated out? I am just trying to figure out if I am even supposed to have it....

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sticker has it listed under standard options, it also shows under optional equipment the 28G package and listed therein is the Electron Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), and the sales literature says that if you have the EVIC you have the tire pressure display function, but I cannot find this mentioned anywhere in the owners manual.

Bob

badger

Reaction score
skeeter said:
My 2005 Liberty brochure shows this feature as being "included" (standard) on a Limited with "G" package - however I seem to recall looking at Window stickers that listed this as an "extra". I stepped through my EVIC displays and I don't have it. Also the Jeep web site shows it as a seperate $75.00 option.

According to the Jeep website Liberty specifications page, the "Tire Pressure Monitor and Warning Signal" is standard on Limited and Renegade models. Quoting the specification, "The Tire Pressure Monitoring System alerts you to an underinflated or overinflated tire."

The "Tire Pressure Monitoring Display" is listed as a $75 option.

I just took delivery of my 2005 Limited CRD with the $75 option. This display option constantly shows individual tire psi on the EVIC, as opposed to the standard warning system that only warns of low or high tire pressure.

Hope this clears up the difference. Jeep certainly could have done a better job describing the two features.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skeeter said:

I guess I am just making sure I shouldn't have gotten this standard with the "G" package (and that the brochure is in error). Can someone verify?

Well, if you don't have it and want it, get ready for a big expense. My experience with my '04 is below, I don't expect they've changed the valves for the 05's... here's the skinny.
The special valves that are needed cost around $40 USD each... so with five wheels (yes, the spare needs one too!) and probably about $50 to get them installed... $250?? My dealer tried to stick me with the cost of the valves, but when I showed them on the window sticker that it had the Tire Pressure Monitoring System under the options section, they were at least willing to phone Chrysler. A few days later they called me back to schedule an appointment for my sensors. It didn't end up costing me any additional fees... the vehicle was expensive enough!

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opted to not get the tire pressure monitor option, but was suprised to find a warning light on the dash and "WARNING: TIRE PRESSURE LOW" on the overhead the first time I aired down and went wheeling. Mine is an 05 renegade.

So that is probably what they mean when they call it a standard option, and the display is the extra $75. Not sure if this means that all my tires have the pressure sensors on them as well, but I assume that's the only way to do the pressure monitoring.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the special valves and a warning not to use standard valve stem covers, based on Se7enLC's comment, it looks like the "WARNING: TIRE PRESSURE LOW" is the only visual, although the owners manual specifically says it will display which tire is low.
As I stated in a recent post the owners manual is very inconsistent, confusing, and I am begining to think not worth the paper it is printed on.

Bob

JohnKJ

Reaction score
I have been lurking on these forums for a while as I bought an '05 KJ Limited back in February and this has probably been my most puzzling feature. I have the "G" package, but I believe I have the "Standard" TPM System. This is what I have noticed:

1. The EVIC will chime and show "SPARE PRESSURE LOW" (This is from memory, so the text may be different, but I know for sure it specified the SPARE tire)
2. The EVIC will chime and show "TIRE PRESSURE LOW" (Also from memory)
3. Once the system chimes, the TPM dash light comes on (It took me a while to figure out what the heck that icon was supposed to represent!)
4. I have those strange looking valve stems on all 5 wheels.
5. I rotated my tires 2 weeks ago at about 6000 miles, earlier this week at 6700 miles, my EVIC displayed "CHECK TPM SYSTEM", this displayed for three trips in the vehicle and has since gone away, does anyone know why this occurred? Was the system trying to recalibrate itself since the wheels we rotated? The owners manual, as always says bring it back to the dealer, etc. etc. but thats not much help. I havent had a chance to give them a call yet.

Since the EVIC obviously knows which tire is low and will display it, why can't is show me the current pressure of each tire like the "Premium" system is supposed to show? This leads me to believe it is a software issue, and why the system is only a $75 upgrade over the Standard systems as part of the "G" package.

Just wanted to add my experience, and maybe if enough people can add their observations, we can figure out how this thing works or is supposed to work.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
all this stuff is too high tech for me. LoL
Im still stuck at kicking, and bending over to see how my tires are everynow now and then.

anyway, yeah, i think (if i remember) the TPMS was recalibrating itself when u rotated (going by memory also from what someone else wrote at JU)
those valve stems are the sensors themselves..

i should really get an EVIC...
missing out on all the fun

skeeter

Reaction score
This is getting more confusing by the minute! My guess is badger has it right - all '05 Limiteds will chime on a "low" pressure situation, but only those with the $75.00 option get to see their actual pressures on the EVIC. If anyone's experience is different, "chime" in! (no pun intended).

I am going to re-read the manual and at least look at my stems, then I will call my salespserson. Since I didn't fill out his "happy face" card yet from Chrysler, his fate still looms in my hands! =P~

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on what John JK posted it sound like what the owners manual is trying to say, although it does say that it will be specific as to what tire is low, and if it told you the spare is low then perhaps it does work according to the om.
The premium system is definitely dispalyed in the sales brochures and touts it as to what a great feature it is.
It is my understanding that all vehicles starting with 06 will have to have a TPM system, maybe this new setup is Jeeps step at accomplishing that goal, a government mandated system without all the bells and whistles.

Bob

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EVIC

I installed an EVIC in my 04 myself, and to my surprise it has a TPMS. Now everytime I start my Jeep my EVIC flashes 'Tire sensors bad/missing'. I just hit the temperature buttion to get back to my temp/compass screen. This will occassionally happen while driving on the highway, again same solution. And every rare once in a while (it's happened twice) the light on my instrument cluster will come on.

I know all I have to do is add the sensors, which will be the first thing I do when pay day comes around. I've got the part # for 04 and http://www.jparts.com gave me a quota of $34 per sonsor. The only thing I'm unsure of is to order 4 or 5 sensors. I've been told the EVIC comes programmed for 4, and the dealer has to reprogram it for the fifth. Anyone know about this?

JohnKJ

Reaction score
Re: EVIC

VTNomad said:
I know all I have to do is add the sensors, which will be the first thing I do when pay day comes around. I've got the part # for 04 and http://www.jparts.com gave me a quota of $34 per sonsor. The only thing I'm unsure of is to order 4 or 5 sensors. I've been told the EVIC comes programmed for 4, and the dealer has to reprogram it for the fifth. Anyone know about this?

FYI: Adding the sensors will require you to unmount and remount your tires to the rims as the sensor is installed onto the rim inside the tire and replaces the valve stem already in there.

From what I can tell, the only different between the '05 Base TPM sytem for those with the EVIC and the $75 upgrade premium system is supposedly the presence of three transponders (two in front wheel wells, and 1 in back). Has anyone looked at their '05 to see if they are there? I bet they are and its only a software upgrade.

The reason I say this is as follows:

If the EVIC can already know which tire is low, then it has to know which sensor is where, from what I can tell, that was the purpose of the transponder which must detect the strength of the sensor signal to determine location. Each transponder is responsible for one of the sensors. The reason you dont have 4 is that if none of the 3 detect a close signal, then it must be coming from the wheel without a corresponding transponder. (This doesnt explain the spare, but I'm going to ignore that for a while - maybe the rear transponder detects a strong/medium/poor signal to determine this??)

Ok, so given the fact that the sensors send a reading to the computer, it must be able to compare the reading against a certain threshold -- assuming standard pressure of 35psi, and a threashold of 10%, it will need to alarm if pressure drops below 32psi. In order to know this, it must transmit an actual value which can be compared because the threshold is stored in the computer and not the sensor.

If the above is correct, then why the heck can't the EVIC display the last reported value? It already knows it. So it must be missing the software (or its there and not active because I didn't pay the dealer $75 for it) to display it.

I've read a few threads on this, but I don't believe there was a conclusive answer. I'll report whether or not I find the transponders when I go look for them this evening.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
They did change the sensors for 05. They no longer need the magnet to recalibrate them.

This I've heard as well. Although I've not seen it in person.
Myy valves stems on my '04 need the magnet (which is stuck to the side of the stock jack under the rear passenger seat)

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: EVIC

JohnKJ said:
[quote="VTNomad" . Has anyone looked at their '05 to see if they are there? I bet they are and its only a software upgrade. .

I looked on mine when I first statred investigating this system and they are not there

Bob

skeeter

Reaction score
My "understanding" (which is questionable!) is that the base TPM does not interact with the EVIC at all. It just emits a chime and one of the dummy lights (the "flat tire" icon) on the dash illuminates, indicating one of the tires is low. It's up to you to figure out which one, I guess.

If I am correct here, that means the sensors must be in all the Limited's but the extra $75.00 for the "premium" TPM to activate software (that talks to the EVIC) still makes sense. I looked at my stems, they look more "heavy duty" than a regular stem near the base - there's metal there, that's all I know. The spare is the same. I am tempted to let air out of the spare to see if I get a warning, but the manual is very confusing here also - at times it indicates the spare is included and other times it indicates the opposite.

One thing is for sure, with all this confusion Chrysler sure could have done a better job explaining this one........!