Tire Browning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So I should have learned…
Had a partial can of Meguiers tire cleaner/shine in the garage. Used to use it on the VW for car shows. Last time I used it on the Bug, it turned the brand new tires brown after a week.

so, not thinking, I sprayed it on the new Jeep tires just before my trip. Got home, washed the desert off..and darned if the tires are brown.

Scrubbed them down twice with a stiff brush and Dawn dish soap. They are better, but still brown.

suggestions? Less than 4K miles on them and it’s triggering my OCD they aren’t black.

should have learned….lololol

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another reason why I hate tire gloss and glossy tires.

But, turned brown? Ugh. Of all the colors in the world for them to turn. Brown? Could be worse I suppose. Pink?

How about some type of black. Maybe shoe polish?
dc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Brown fun not good. Use a good dish soap, scrub tires wash off.
Apply Mother's Product...Tire Renew

Attachments

• Back to black tire.jpg
    Back to black tire.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hit them with the pressure washer and use a stiff brush with a strong degreaser that'll foam up good. and let it soak before rinsing.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The browning or blooming is not from the tire shine. Ive been using meguiars tire shine for many years and Ive only had browning issues on certain brand tires. Lately its been Hankook tires.

The browning comes from the UV protectant (google calls it antiozonant) leaching out of the rubber. Any tire that has turned brown, it does seem to eventually wear off. Ive always wondered if the tire shine makes it seem worse since it gives it a protective barrier and the blooming builds up under the tireshine.

Last edited:

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
The browning or blooming is not from the tire shine. Ive been using meguiars tire shine for many years and Ive only had browning issues on certain brand tires. Lately its been Hankook tires.

The browning comes from the UV protectant (google calls it antiozonant) leaching out of the rubber. Any tire that has turned brown, it does seem to eventually wear off. Ive always wondered if the tire shine makes it seem worse since it gives it a protective barrier and the blooming builds up under the tireshine.

Yeah, I suspect it may be a reaction between to OE antiozonant/antioxidant additives in the tires and the Maguire's proprietary stuff. Have had this happen on both new and used tires of many brands over the years. Been sticking with that brand as it is the only one that fluoresces a bit in the lab....proving it at least somewhat does what it claims. (The Turtle Wax version doesnt.)

So, I went over these Toyos with dawn and a brush three additional times, but the blooming kept coming back within 30 hours...

Gave them a new coat of Maguire's and BAM right back to black.
Just another reason why I hate tire gloss and glossy tires.

But, turned brown? Ugh. Of all the colors in the world for them to turn. Brown? Could be worse I suppose. Pink?

How about some type of black. Maybe shoe polish?
dc
You must not be in a high UV area or keep tires very long. LOL

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If in doubt you could always put a coat of black tire-paint on. I've used it on ag tires to preserve them and it works pretty good. One old timer body shop guy I know said he liked it for even covering overspray on semi truck tires. Make sure to mask the wheels first through.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
If in doubt you could always put a coat of black tire-paint on. I've used it on ag tires to preserve them and it works pretty good. One old timer body shop guy I know said he liked it for even covering overspray on semi truck tires. Make sure to mask the wheels first through.
Absolutely. But with less than 5k on them, I’ll save that option for farther down the road. Between the ambient UV and heavy use of pre trees and anti icing stuff out here, tires get pretty shoddy looking pretty quickly.

really this is just my obsession with silly details kicking in…too many years of full resto on VWs creates good “bad” habits.