Timing pins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't suppose anyone has the dimensions for the timing pins for a CRD? Mine is due a belt, I can borrow a universal set but I'd like to check and see what will fit and what I need to make.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I have dimensions somewhere in my shop which I can post tomorrow.

There might be a drawing I might have posted on this forum but it isn't in this phone. LOSTJEEPS should have a drawing of them.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Intake Pin (Miller #1052):
(M10 x 1 pitch x 75mm full threaded bolt)
Overall length: 2.96"
Shaft length: 1.76"
Thick shaft diameter: .315" for 1.39" of shaft length.
Tip diameter: .275" for .300" of shaft length.

Exhaust pin (Miller #1053)
(M10 x 1 pitch 75mm full thread bolt)
Overall length: 1.932"
Shaft length: 1.650"
Thick shaft diameter: 1.25" of length.
Tip diameter: .275" for .300" of shaft length.

Crank pin (Miller #1089)
(M8 x 1.25 pitch x 75mm full thread bolt)
Turn or grind half of the threads off the bolt length and make the tip pointed. Or, use a 6mm allen wrench and eyeball the angle.

I tried all-thread (threaded rod?) before I got the bolts but the threads on the all-thread were too crude to use in the aluminum camifold. They were going to eat the camifold threads and I couldn't feel the pin tip engage the holes in the cams.

My notes seem a little cryptic and are more precise than the pins actually need to be. The critical working part of the cam pins is the .275" diameter and .300" length at the tip. "Thick shaft diameter" is just threads removed so you don't spend forever screwing it in and out to it's working depth.

The cam pins are not meant to hold the cams while you torque the cam gears down; doing so can destroy the camifold threads and cause leaks and misery. The proper tool for holding cam gears in position while torquing is the Miller #1085. There's a cheapo red equivalent that's overpriced and overfiddly. I intend to make a better cam gear locking tool that engages the three holes in each cam gear but that's just scribblings on paper so far.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I'll buy some metric fine set screws when I get back and turn up some pins, I may as well make a full set then I don't need to borrow anything.
I'll size up fir a cam holding tool too.
If you ask for high tensile threaded rod you get decent rolled threads, we have loads kicking about at work, unfortunately it's all imperial or metric course.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a rash moment I bought a full set of CRD locking tools and a pin wrench, didn't realise how cheap they were on ebay.
SKF belt, pump and pulley set on order too, just need a couple of gallons of HOAT concentrate.