Time for glow plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick25crd

Reaction score
Hi everybody.I am a 2002,2.5 crd,175000kms owner and i am just wondering if is it the time to change glowplugs.I have some problems on starting only when it is under -10C but finally it starts.The Jeep part number for this is:05066840AA
and everywhere in the web i looked for this thing was with 11-12V.Does it fits to my Jeep or is it a 7V as i saw in other threads?
Is it a hard thing to do it myself?(Pics please)Any tips?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.I am a 2002,2.5 crd,175000kms owner and i am just wondering if is it the time to change glowplugs.I have some problems on starting only when it is under -10C but finally it starts.The Jeep part number for this is:05066840AA
and everywhere in the web i looked for this thing was with 11-12V.Does it fits to my Jeep or is it a 7V as i saw in other threads?
Is it a hard thing to do it myself?(Pics please)Any tips?

Your original glow plugs will be the ceramic 7 volt ones...not 11-12 volt.
The new replacements from Jeep are 5 volt ones and you need to have the ECU programmed for this. The Italian Etecno metal 7 volt plugs are now available and they are a direct replacement without reprogramming needed.
There has been a discussion on this CRD forum about the 7 volt metal glow plugs and lots of discussion on Lost about this.
As far as I know....newer CRDs throw a code if there is a problem with the glow plugs but our older Export models do not throw a code.

Last edited:

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, might want to double-check the voltage rating - I believe the older 2.5 L CRD's - which his is a 2.5 - did use 11 volt GP's.

Over a year ago, when Chrysler started this fiasco with the 5V plugs, I did some checking on line - seems I remember one European website that listed GP's for the KJ CRD (European version), and they were 11 volt.

AFAIK, the 7 volt ceramics started with the 2.8 L version.

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm, might want to double-check the voltage rating - I believe the older 2.5 L CRD's - which his is a 2.5 - did use 11 volt GP's.

Over a year ago, when Chrysler started this fiasco with the 5V plugs, I did some checking on line - seems I remember one European website that listed GP's for the KJ CRD (European version), and they were 11 volt.

AFAIK, the 7 volt ceramics started with the 2.8 L version.

@retmil46....I think you are correct in this::pp:

I have not looked into the glow plug circuitry on my 2.5 CRD before as I have never had a need to. Looking at the circuit diagram I see that +12 volts is simply supplied direct to the glow plugs via two relays...Glow plug 1 and Glow plug 2 relay. Then the supply is split over the four glow plugs.
There is no "glow plug controller" that other CRD owners speak of and no way that the ECU checks whether or not the glow plugs are functioning which is what I had heard of before.

So I think that nick2,5crd and myself deffinately need the 11 volt glow plugs..they probably expect a voltage drop from 12 volts due to the high current draw. The early 2.8 CRDs were basicaly bored out 2.5 litre engines so I think the same applies for them. Once the USA got their CRDs a lot of things changed such as variable vane turbos and probably the newer glow plug system.
I live in such a warm climate that I probably do not need glow plugs at all.