ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have searched and found some info, but wanted ya'll opinion on this.

When I start up the jeep in the morining, everything is great, except, when I start driving, there is a faint ticking noise that seems to go away after about 5 or so minutes. This happens on a cold engine (its not winter, but when the engine has cooled off).

The ticking speeds up with I drive, but when I stop, the sound is gone. Again, after about 5 minutes, its gone. Is this the hydraulic lifters? or is it something I should be worried about?

by no means does it sound like a KNOCK, just a tick tick tick...

I did put it in park and in neutral to see if it is the engine and reved it up to 2500 RPM.. no sound.

Im baffled...

Last edited:

darksun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine makes the same sound...I figure it's because it's cold and the oil is settled in the pan..I could be wrong about these things as I am not a mechanic

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it for about 10-15 seconds at 1st start up....

From what I've seen, if it doesn't tick at start up then there's something wrong lol

Ohh, obligatory check oil level in case it's low

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine will make a tick sound on start up for about 3 secs, then it will sound normal. Normal.

But if it continues while driving it's an issue. Budkeize is running an engine with no oil. :p

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil is great, was just changed. like I stated, it stops after about 5 minutes. sounds like its coming from the front left. doesn't make the sound in park or neutral, just when I first start driving, then it goes away.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know, but it doesn't sound like an engine knock... just a little tick... my wife heard it with her "you've come in late from being with the guys" ears...

so I dont think its engine knock, it doesn't happen i am sitting idling or running the RPM's up. Perhaps a CV joint?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What year is Kj? How many miles on it?
Lift hood and try to hear if the ticking sounds coming from the back Valvetrain or possible from the front, one of the pulleys?
The kj does have an injector kinda softer clicking noise as well.
Run a bottle of Chevron Techron in some half tank chevron fuel and take it for a good highway boogie to get injectors cleaner and back side of valves too.
Can buy at Chevron Stations and WallMart.
35477[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Bea cause of your rolling noise statement, I am confused if actually it is a motor sound or drive line?

Attachments

• Techron.jpg
    Techron.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 with 106k on it. I will try to see if I can hear it when I pop the hood, but like I said earlier, i only really hear it when Im actually driving in gear.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Roll down the windows while driving, is it coming from one side or the other or sorta in the center?
Also while rolling forward, shift it into neutral and see if it stops?
Is this a 4x4?

Last edited:

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, 4x4, I'll try tonight on the way home with neutral. seems to be coming from front right. by the passenger. almost sounds like a card in the spokes.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That loud? Have someone ride with ya in passenger seat to correctly identify if it sounds like the front right wheel bearing hub, or CV? Inspection time.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its not really that loud. yeah, i'll see about what it does in neutral, but ifs a front wheel bearing or cv, i'll have it checked out.

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the source?!? not from the engine, but it sounds the loudest from where the shifters are. Perhaps from the transfer case (im still waiting for the cable to get here, but it was manually placed into 2H). It might have slipped, so taking it to dealership to have them check it, and see if they can keep it from slipping until the transfer cable kit gets here.

Or it could be from the driveshaft, U-Joints, or something else 'down there'. any suggestions what else i need to look at?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it tick when you are sitting still or only when moving?
not to be a jerk but if it only does it while moving it could just be a good rock in your tires or it could be a CV joint if it does it when moving
but not siting still
if it does it while sitting and speeds up when the gas is pressed then goes away
it is lifters ,you should hear my TJ when the temps fall below 35*
I only run syn 10 W30 in my TJ hot or cold weather

zachs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only when moving... could be cv joint i guess, but its really loud from where the shifters are... if I lift the hood and listen, no knocking... and it doesn't do it when idling.. so I dont think its the engine (i can rev it and still no knocking).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.