thrush turbo muffler install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, I just bought a thrush turbo muffler and I have a couple questions on how to install it, I've seen how long tall texan and tjkj have done it but....do I just cut the liberty's muffler slip the thrush in and clamp it???, I have the muffler a hanger and a 2 1/2 clamp...what else do I need???

btw, what the size of the stock piping???? I have a welder but it's and arc welder so I aint trying it with that one :D

thankx guys and I hopw yall can help me, I just changed the oil, clean me K&N filter and iwas going to change my plugs but I had forgotten the anti-size or however is called, anyways...thankx guy and I'm looking into doing this tomorrow with the plugs.

Hector

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Look at this thread for some info. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40762

I bought the intermediate pipe from Summit Racing. It is the piece that has the 2-bolt flange on it. But if you are going to trash your old muffler/tailpipe assembly, you can just cut that portion off of your old pipe.

Then I took the Thrush Turbo muffler and used a hack saw to cut a slit length-wise about an inch long on both the inlet and outlet of the muffler. It gives you a little room for the muffler to clamp together over the intermediate pipe, as well as gives you a slot to slightly pry apart if you ever switch mufflers down the road. Then just slide the intermediate pipe into the muffler inlet and clamp it down. Do the same on the other end with a turn down. So you need 2 clamps total. Then I recommend a rear hanger. Others have not had any troubles without one, but I had 2 of them warranty replaced before I added a rear hanger.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thankx man
the thrush muffler it's a 2 1/4 inlet but was the size of the pipe that it's between the flange and the stock muffler???

superliberty

Reaction score
I installed the 2 1/2 thrush turbo muffler at meinke for $100 and I love the sound. Removed the resonator also. mine is fully welded, no clamps. Start up, idle and full throttle sound is way cool.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ exhaust is 2-1/2, not 2-1/4. You should have thrush P/?: 17715 or 17718. Those are the right size in and out.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ exhaust is 2-1/2, not 2-1/4. You should have thrush P/?: 17715 or 17718. Those are the right size in and out.

I have the 17718...I think...

it's the 18" one, so I just cut the old muffler and the thrush should slip in???then just clamp it???

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone have videos up of the exhaust installed? really wanna hear how it sounds

superliberty

Reaction score
I bought this muffler from jegs. $23 plus s&h came up to $29. This one is 6 inches shorter than the stock muffler.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest returning it and getting the 2.5" in/out model. 17715 is the 12" long body. 17718 is the 18" long body. Both work well. The one you got will be a restriction compared with stock exhaust.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest returning it and getting the 2.5" in/out model. 17715 is the 12" long body. 17718 is the 18" long body. Both work well. The one you got will be a restriction compared with stock exhaust.

thankx man......I'm doing that tomorrow morning with the 17715 or 17718 I should be able to just slide it in and clamp right?

thankx again man.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I returned the 17713 and got the 17715 just installed it t this morning just like long tall texan and jsc with no hanger in the back.....but mine it says it's a 14" , anyways, it sounds great but I think it's gonna affect my fuel economy for a couple of weeks....cuz I can't keep my foot off the pedal lol