thread tap to clean rusted weldnuts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nodave

Reaction score

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NEVER use a tap to clean threads, it will leave the bolt with a sloppy, and sometimes dangerous fit. You want to use a "thread chaser". Instead of buying a chaser you may never use again, you can make your own by cutting a slot lengthwise (perpendicular to the threads) into one of the old bolts, using either a hacksaw or Dremel tool with a cutting wheel.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on the use, a tap won't hurt. But you don't want to re-tap holes on important things like ones that hold weight, are under stress (suspension, lug nuts), spark plug holes, engine internals, etc. Don't let anybody tell you there's no difference between a tap and a thread chaser, there is. A chaser will clean crud out of the threads, a tap will cut and remove more metal from the threads (what you don't want). With that said, in all my years of wrenching on/restoring cars, I've only had to use a chaser once, to fix a cross-threaded spark plug hole (not my doing). Other than that, I get good results from cleaning the bolt on the wire wheel, soaking the hole with penetrating oil, and winding it in and out a couple few times to clean the threads.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have done that with some good results. Only problem is I managed to crossthread a bolt like that.

nodave

Reaction score
Sorry I guess I forgot to come back in here with a thank you. I used a thread chaser and some penetrating oil, got my hitch installed and everything stays nice and tight, works great. Thanks.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it. I've done the whole "cut a slot in a bolt" method, and it works very well.