The simplest + cheapest cleaning materials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kylewilley

Reaction score
I personally buy the cheaper cleaning stuff at Wal-mart considering I go a week at the most with out getting my jeep full of mud...but even still, it is still "name-brand" and I started thinking, how did they keep cars so clean before all this stuff came out? For example in the 60s or 70s I imagine there was some simpler/cheaper type of materials they used to keep the rides nice and shiny. So do any of you old folks know what it is and where to get it?:rolleyes:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we used dish soap on our vehicles....if only we'd would of known.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walmart TurtleWax is cheap, but, remember, you get what you pay for. Plus, the technology used in automotive paint has changed drastically since the 1960's.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Walmart TurtleWax is cheap, but, remember, you get what you pay for. Plus, the technology used in automotive paint has changed drastically since the 1960's.

Quite. I doubt we had clear coat back then, becasue you'd see you paint on your rag when you wax...

For economical soaps, get Kit soap from any auto part store (not walmart), very good. Smells like lemons...and suds well.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we used dish soap on our vehicles....if only we'd would of known.

Yea, we did too. I couldn't tell you how many times I used it before I found out it was bad.

Dave

Searcher67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use dish soap too! Never had any issues, plus its cheaper then car wash stuff. Although, today I did buy a gallon of Meguiars wash..

I use all Meguiars products from clay bar kit to carnuba wax. I think I might spend about 50 bucks a year on the stuff if that! I guess it depends on how bad your OCD is.. Its raining here and I don't want to even pull the Jeep out of the garage!!! Talk about OCD!:rolleyes:

I think you'll use the car wash and the detailing spray the most.
\
I remember seeing the paint on the wax rag!! 68 Dodge Charger/.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use dish soap too! Never had any issues, plus its cheaper then car wash stuff. Although, today I did buy a gallon of Meguiars wash..

I use all Meguiars products from clay bar kit to carnuba wax. I think I might spend about 50 bucks a year on the stuff if that! I guess it depends on how bad your OCD is.. Its raining here and I don't want to even pull the Jeep out of the garage!!! Talk about OCD!:rolleyes:

I think you'll use the car wash and the detailing spray the most.
\
I remember seeing the paint on the wax rag!! 68 Dodge Charger/.

I had a friend that every wash he would wax his Caddy with te old style wax and no clear coat...paint wore off on the corners pretty bad.:eek:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dish soap is a degreaser meant for removing grease. It will remove anything on the surface of the paint and also dry everything out including molding and trim. As it says on the bottle, its meant for washing dishes which has nothing to do with washing paint.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dish soap is a degreaser meant for removing grease. It will remove anything on the surface of the paint and also dry everything out including molding and trim. As it says on the bottle, its meant for washing dishes which has nothing to do with washing paint.
y

Yeah, I even used it to clean a greasy motor once and it actually did an ok job...haha

I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online