The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
DAVE,

You don't know what it's like to drive a brick until you drive a Wrangler. Now that's a brick!

Yea, I know. I drove my Son's JK around one weekend. (dana 44's with 4.10 gears) I think I eeked out around 18 - mostly all highway - I'm not sure if that is even too accurate. It was smoother than the TJ I drove around one weekend and the TJ was worse on gas but I had it off road. Didn't have a chance to get the JK in the dirt. They are bricks.

The KJ is actually not bad for a Jeep on straight highway driving. Still not good but not too bad for what it is.

About 2 weeks ago I was on a two track with the KJ in 4hi with A/T in first gear with the scangague instant mpg reading around 8 mpg...........Then if I remember right it pulled my average on the EVIC to around 12mpg. I didn't want to look at that so I just reset it....haha

Dave

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
overall avg since purchased.... 21.95mpg
avg round town aprox 22
avg off road aprox 16
avg hwy aprox 26
best 29 (one way from austin to dallas)

avg round town weighting is highest as thats the majority of the miles...

t_bois

Reaction score
Well I've had some time to put a few miles on without my wife driving the Sport and was doing well until the cold weather hit. My first tank I got 24.6 MPG driving to and from work (98 miles round trip per day; 46 hiway, 52 in town on roads that average 45 MPH) until the bad weather hit (using 4WD HI some of the way with the high temp being below 20), then it dropped to 22 MPG.

I'm still thinking taller tires!

NVMY03GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty . I haven't been on the Forum much because this is the wifes' care right now she hates it for one solid reason MPG!!! We put 7 Gallons of Fuel in and this thing just Vaporizes it. Its like nothing. Now 7 Gallons usually bring us up to Half if not right below. We are lucky to get 100 Miles on this. If that.

Ive been reading on here. Some folks said Bigger tires worsen the Mileage. I have AT^2 Tires - Do those bring down Gas Mileage? I haven't tried a K&N Yet. Also some suggested changing the Fuel Filter - Where is this located at?

Please Help - I like the Jeep but ever since the accident its been horrible :(

What am I to expect - Fuel Economy.Gov says 16/19 City/Highway. Any way to improve it?

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
average in a very heavy traffic city: 18l/100km - 5.5km/l - 13mpg :(

all stock, 35psi, windows and sunroof down or A/C on, lights off, full tank, 1 - 2 occupants, no luggage

average highway (between 100-110km/h or 62-68mph): 9.5l/100km - 10.5km/l - 25mpg :)

all stock, 35psi, windows up, A/C off, lights on, fog lights off, full tank, 2 occupants, light luggage.

best: 26mpg

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i might get some resistance for saying this but larger tires wont really get u too badly on fuel econ. most of this preception is bc if u put on bigger tires your odometer shows lower miles vs what is actually driven. the factors that do u in r 1 see above 2 drag coef gets a tad worse 3 gear ratios are now off a bit and thus all the fuel econ optimization algrythms are now off a bit too. if ur tires r 10% bigger, add 10% back to ur odo b4 doing mpg calc. a gps can validate this. wish there was a magic cure... but jeeps get really bad fuel econ preiod!

Alright guys I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty . I haven't been on the Forum much because this is the wifes' care right now she hates it for one solid reason MPG!!! We put 7 Gallons of Fuel in and this thing just Vaporizes it. Its like nothing. Now 7 Gallons usually bring us up to Half if not right below. We are lucky to get 100 Miles on this. If that.

Ive been reading on here. Some folks said Bigger tires worsen the Mileage. I have AT^2 Tires - Do those bring down Gas Mileage? I haven't tried a K&N Yet. Also some suggested changing the Fuel Filter - Where is this located at?

Please Help - I like the Jeep but ever since the accident its been horrible :(

What am I to expect - Fuel Economy.Gov says 16/19 City/Highway. Any way to improve it?

KEHinNC

Reaction score
We just bought a 2008 Silver Liberty 2wd Sport.
Our first trip to the NC mountains saw approximatley 22.2 MPG.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just had a pretty good storm and the roads were really bad and I was in 4wd part time for the last 2 days and my EVIC was reading 14.8.........and it is still snowing. Roads are very slick and snowy. I am going to run some "techron" injector cleaner tomorrow and see if it does anyhing.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to go to a specialty store for my wife about 20 miles one way away, sunny and 39* out. Fired up the Honda and went for a ride.;)

bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr.....saw a guy at the gas station yesterday gassing his bike....he had one of those face masks on and about 300 pounds of other stuff under a snomobile looking suit.....said he had it to 70mph......I said bbbbrrrrrrrrrrr.

Dave

clmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran 120 miles round-trip yesterday and got 23MPG. I have a KN filter according to the sticker on the airbox, came that way off the used lot.

Maybe I should open it up and take a peek.

2004 LTD w/ 25K.

tan's2002kjlimited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ooops! Low tires.

Had to drive to the in-laws for a party today. "The Brick" pulled slightly to the right. Checked (and filled) the tires while there, F/R tire was 15 psi while the other 3 were 25psi. Filled all 4 to 42psi, I wonder if that will help the MPG? (I should probably check for a leak.)

I know you all will say "the manual says a max of 33 psi", but 10 years of being a mech, I personally inflate to what the tire says is the max psi. You wouldn't fill a set of XL rated tires to 33psi, now would you?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The Brick" pulled slightly to the right. Checked (and filled) the tires while there, F/R tire was 15 psi while the other 3 were 25psi. Filled all 4 to 42psi, I wonder if that will help the MPG? (I should probably check for a leak.)

Probably the cold weather causing lower pressure. Had to air up all mine too. Even the spare as it set off the TPM's.

I never aired mine to max though. I usually run 36 - sometimes 38 if I am going on a long trip. That should help with the gas mileage on "the brick".

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got 13.4mpg on the last tank(woot) ,I'm so happy:) !

tjkj.....actually that's not bad, considering your mods. I'm getting barely 16 combined with this crummy winter gas and cold weather and I am a lot more stock than you are.

Dave

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 18.9 on my last tank. Not that bad I guess. Of course I do miss my 30mpg I was getting.

Reaction score
i drive with low rpms and take my time accelerating and i get 14 -16 mpg city and when i reset it and went to kings island, i got 28 mpg

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
i drive with low rpms and take my time accelerating and i get 14 -16 mpg city and when i reset it and went to kings island, i got 28 mpg

Well you have the 5-Speed. They're usually more efficient than automatics. I still want one (a stick shift).

28MPG? wow. For those who don't believe the EVIC, I've had good experiences with it... my '06's EVIC was for the most part, accurate, even a bit pessimistic. '04 was about a MPG high, optimistic. Depends on the specific vehicle I guess. They may all look the same, but they're not.