Temperature reading via EVIC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Watty

Reaction score
As part of the readouts available in the overhead EVIC, a temperature reading is given. My question is simple: Is this the air temerature outside the vehicle, or the cabin temerature, or perhaps the air temperature behind the EVIC unit (that is the air space between the roof and ceiling/EVIC?

Any ideas? At times it would appear that it is actual a different temperature than experienced, especially when underway (wind chill factor is most likely not part of the reported temperature.)

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It displays the outside air temperature. I have always found mine to be quite accurate...however, where the temp. reading comes from I don't know...never really thought about it before.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea u can see it, its alittle black sensor, and it does give the right temp. sometimes mine seems to be delayed, like if i park and its 60 then warms up to 90 and i start it back, it takes it a few min. to change.

acbafam

Reaction score
black KJ's are always hotter in the sun
Mine reads like 12º warmer then wife's Blue Grand C.
however at night they are the same

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's at the dealer today for its first oil change and a few warranty items.

One of those is the very slow response of the outdoor temperature display. It takes between 15 and 20 minutes before it changes from the cool 74 deg. in my garage to the hot 95 deg. on the road - and it does it in one jump.

Will post if I get any information of value from the dealer.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Mr. Five Star told me that there needs to be continuous airflow over the sensor for several minutes before the temperature will change. He went on to say I needed to drive at 40 mph for 10 minutes, or longer at slower speeds.

I guess that makes sense. If it simply worked like a regular thermometer, it would read high for quite a while after being parked on hot black-top for an afternoon. Come to think of it, that's exactly what the temperature display did in my Saab. It would read very high until I had been driving for a while.