Tell me if the was safe to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I installed the FM relay for my Fiancee's Sirius Radio in her 02 KJ. She bought the KJ used about 2 months ago. It came the deluxe model of the factory stereo. Its has the CD player, tape deck and all the audio adjustment buttons on it.

Here's the stereo she has.
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/libert...with-Cassette-CD-Player-05-07-P23590C507.aspx

Well when I pulled the stereo out I started to find all these extra wires. The previous owner spiced an adapter into the factory wire harness to have left and right RCA jacks and installed an amp and sub woofer. Other evidence I found is an extra power line coming off the battery and leading somewhere to back of the KJ and a ground wire that was left attached to a back sear bolt.

My question is... Could that mod have any damaging effects to stereo?

I'm not sure what wires they actually had the thing spliced into but I know if there is too much of power draw from the speakers it can blow the stereo. I did it to my after factory stereo in an old car of mine by having 4 speakers hooked up in the back instead of the two.

she not having any problems with it but I'm just curious. Let me know what you guys think!

sd89gta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine so, my firebird had the same thing back when i had it. It's only converting a high level input into a low level(or vice-versa, i can't remember) to be amplified at the amp. So, do you still have the sub and amp? If not, just take it out. But if you do, don't amps have a place for speaker inputs instead of RCA's? but then you would still have to splice or something to get that one speaker that you used to work. Maybe someone has some better info, but to my knowledge, it should be fine. Still kinda new to the stereo stuff, so i'm waiting to see if this is right. Hope this helped.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't imagine so, my firebird had the same thing back when i had it. It's only converting a high level input into a low level(or vice-versa, i can't remember) to be amplified at the amp. So, do you still have the sub and amp? If not, just take it out. But if you do, don't amps have a place for speaker inputs instead of RCA's? but then you would still have to splice or something to get that one speaker that you used to work. Maybe someone has some better info, but to my knowledge, it should be fine. Still kinda new to the stereo stuff, so i'm waiting to see if this is right. Hope this helped.

Thanks for your input. No, the amp and sub where not there when she bought it. All the wiring that would have gone to the amp was cut. Like the RCA wires.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh there's no problem with this, I'm running a similar setup in my WK. If anything be happy that wiring and equipment is already there just in case of an amplifier and/or subwoofer install. :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh there's no problem with this, I'm running a similar setup in my WK. If anything be happy that wiring and equipment is already there just in case of an amplifier and/or subwoofer install. :)

I didn't think of it that way :D I do have a small amp and 6 inch torpedo sub somewhere in my house. Too bad it's not my KJ... yet hehehe. I'll have to wait a year until we're married. Then surprise her one day.

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a line level converter, nothing but a splice into the rear speaker wires(usually, so when you fade, your subs fade w/ rear speakers)if I were you, I would use butt-connectors to reattach the wires, pigtails are no good.

Latest posts

Members online