tcase output leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is this a common leak point? Seems the boot on the output shaft on the tcase is leaking. If this isnt common, would the tcase seals be bad? Looks like soaking coming from the boot but maybe the seal is bad and the tcase is just being covered in the slow soak.

any past experience from anyone would be great.

havent been around here much but still have the liberty, trying to keep her strong.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My TJ ,231, has been "moist" from the day I got it or 30K
I put in an SYE and cleaned it up and 15K later it is moist again

I think much like Dana axles the NP T-cases just tend to get moist

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, just wanted to be sure it wasnt going to blow a seal or something, I havent even opened the fsm to know what all is there. seems this is fairly new on mine, has 110,000 miles and I have not noticed it.

I will check next time I am under during the tcase selector sensor replacement I need to do...

Also, looks like the blower motor resistor is fairly common? time to replace that after about 3 years of 1,2, and now 3 not working for the wife.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean it's leaking at the tail cone of the transfer case right? where the rear drive shaft comes out of it? They've been known to leak before but it shouldn't be a big job to replace the seal.

Is it leaving a big puddle on the garage floor? have you checked the transfer case fluid level? can you see damage to the seal?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No pics. Just saw it this weekend and at quick glance it looked like it was looking. No, not leaving a puddle, just moist all over and no I can't see any seal leaking.

Even if it were leaving drips on the driveway there is no way to tell since the land rover leaks non stop.

richardkay624

Reaction score
My 2004 Limited had the same problem. At 63,000 miles both seals, and the output shaft were replaced under warranty. The t-case is now dry as a bone.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know how difficult the seal is to replace? If I were to get in to it, just want to know ahead of time.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone know how difficult the seal is to replace? If I were to get in to it, just want to know ahead of time.

It doesn't sound like you have to change it but if you ever do it shouldn't be too hard to remove the rear drive shaft and the 231 transfer case tail cone and pop out the old seal, pop in the new one. They're just pressed in.

I've never had to replace one on a Liberty but I have changed the one on my YJ, both transfer cases are 231's. On my YJ I just bought a spare transfer case tail cone and put a new seal in it.

Oh and the comment about a Land Rover leaking nonstop, I thoght only Jeeps marked their spot? :D

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like you have to change it but if you ever do it shouldn't be too hard to remove the rear drive shaft and the 231 transfer case tail cone and pop out the old seal, pop in the new one. They're just pressed in.

I've never had to replace one on a Liberty but I have changed the one on my YJ, both transfer cases are 231's. On my YJ I just bought a spare transfer case tail cone and put a new seal in it.

Oh and the comment about a Land Rover leaking nonstop, I thoght only Jeeps marked their spot? :D

thanks, I may end up replacing the seal if the seepage gets worse.

go buy a land rover, youll see...

my driveway is the equivalent of the port of Valdez

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually the port of Valdez is pretty clean, especially if you compare it to parts of Prince William Sound past Bligh Reef.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha I know, I was referring more so to valdez during the spill :)

I was just up there 3 weeks ago.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brought you to "Valdisease"? Have lived in AK for almost 27 years and only driven down there once. Thompson Pass is a real hoot!

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
work actually. I figured if I was all the way out there from Ohio I might as well check some places out. Driving through Chugach Ntl park was great as well, I pull on to the main drag and immediately saw a couple bald eagles flying around.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know we that live here tend to take too much for granted. It's only when we go outside that we find out how much we love this state.
Sorry about jacking the thread like that
Hope your leakage problem gets resolved. I have had the seal changed out on mine (03 with 116K) once about 10 K ago. Things get worn.