Tailgate latch doesn't close itself all the way- broken spring- source for a new one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Begle1

Reaction score
I have an '03 Liberty and the rear latch doesn't close itself all the way; still seems to work but is floppy and feels broken. I disassembled it to where I can see half a rusty torsion spring that should be closing the handle but is broken.

Does anybody know where I can get a new spring that'd work? I'd rather not pay $100 or $200 when I only need a new spring. :)

It's something like this:
https://www.mcmaster.com/9271k188

I guess I should mention that, since mine is broken, I'm not sure how many degrees the spring is or where the other leg attaches to.

Thanks.

Begle1

Reaction score
I couldn't find a torsion spring that looked close so I made due with a Home Depot-special linear spring. About 7/16" diameter and 2" long. Tie-wrapped to the plastic handle on one side and the sheetmetal of the door on the other. Seems to be working so far.

Attachments

• Tailgate Latch Spring 1.jpg
    Tailgate Latch Spring 1.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Tailgate Latch Spring 2.jpg
    Tailgate Latch Spring 2.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 5