Tailgate Issues--Heavy Wheel/Tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately my tailgate has been making some rattleing and thumping noises. Basicly, it's gradualy becoming loose. I'm convinced it's due to the much heavier spare. With the steel Cragar and the BFG on now it's got to be close to 3x the weight of the original. I think it's, eventually, going to completely ruin the tailgate hinges.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this same problem? And, if there is a remedy?
I'v seen tailgate "beef-up" kits and tire swings for Wrangler's but not for the Libby.
Any ideas??

edit: BTW, My last resort will be to mount it on the roof rack....

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really... though I am equally worrried without a rattle yet.

I know our gates can support a tremendous amount of weight. (Since I have stood on top of my spare and jumped up and down on it to rock the jeep for suspension testing.)
But I do worry because the tire wheel combo is so damn heavy. But since I practically never open my gate I think the limited use may compensate for a couple of hard swings in the distant future.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you're right....

I just needed to hear it from sum 1 with an equally heavy spare.

I'll just keep the stereo blasting to drown out the rattle (band2)

Thanks bro....

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry bikes on a spare mounted rack. No problems thus far. I had some rattling from the back, the three lug nuts holding my spare were loose. kopkrab.gif

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it isn't just the glass or perhaps the spare loosening up a bit? You need to grease the latch on the glass sometimes to keep it quiet.

bohica-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cowcatcher said:
Are you sure it isn't just the glass or perhaps the spare loosening up a bit? You need to grease the latch on the glass sometimes to keep it quiet.
I've looked at it real close and pretty much isolated it to the door. thanks though.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the lower bump stop. Use a 10mm socket to loosen, then adjust, then retighten. Do this over, and over until you feel it's good. They do need readjustment sometimes, just because the way the swinggate closes.