Synthetic Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maureen58

Reaction score
I am rather new to KJ Country, although I have been reading the forum for some time. It seems that some people love their Liberty and others bad mouth them. Personally I am on my second Liberty. The first was a 2003 Limited with basic equipment. Cloth seats but definitely a Select-Trac. In fact I had 2 Cherokees before the Liberties both with Select-Trac. I consider Select-Trac as important as A/C. Anyways, my first Liberty had no problems in 37,500 miles. The only reason I traded it in was the deals being offered. My new one has the leather interior and a few other nice features. Quality wise it seems even better than the first but only time will tell for sure. I got it because I got more vehicle for no interest and $50.00 a month less in payments. A no brainer. Anyway the question I need answered and maybe it has been discussed elsewhere, is does anyone use or recommend synthetic oil and what kind of results were seen. I may want to keep this one for awhile and want to know if synthetics are worthwhile. Thanks

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a well done private study done on synthetic oil that I would recommend to you.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

I personally have been using Mobile 1 since the first oil change in my KJ.

I have been using Castrol Syn-Tec in my Honda since day one. The reason I went to it in my Honda is that I was changing the oil at 12,000 miles (which use to be every 8 months). I felt that I could do that with synthetic. But no I'm not waiting that long with my KJ as I care more about it and hope to keep it for a long time! Plus it has shorter trips put on it, so I'm changing the oil about every six months. That is just how I am doing it.

But anyway, do read over the post above as they have some good points!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
sorry moved it..to general
reviews are reserved for reviews...

anyway, been using synthtetic (mobile 1 w/ Pure 1 oil filter) since the 3rd oil change (went from dino, synth blend, synth)
went w/ it, cuz after calculating, it actually saves me money to go synth than dino. I have seen a 1-2 mpg gain, and it just has a better feel to it, even when the oil gets old.

maureen58

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies I have gotten so far, but what I am most interested in is the second one. Can you actually get better mileage from synthetic. I have read all of the advertizement from Amsoil and they may actually be the best. And I have actually seen the thread about testing Mobil 1. I am not really interested in the longer change interval because I have always been religious about changing my oil every 3000 miles and probably will do the same with synthetic. I feel that there will always be contaminants in the oil within 3000 miles (water, varnish, etc.) that can only be removed by a change. Since I live in Minnesota, cold weather start-up, fuel economy, and keeping the internals of the engine as clean as possible are the most important reasons I'm looking at synthetics. There must be reasons that the Viper, Corvette, other sports cars and even the CRD either use from the factory or recommend synthetic oil as a replacement.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
maureen58 said:
I appreciate the replies I have gotten so far, but what I am most interested in is the second one. Can you actually get better mileage from synthetic. I have read all of the advertizement from Amsoil and they may actually be the best. And I have actually seen the thread about testing Mobil 1. I am not really interested in the longer change interval because I have always been religious about changing my oil every 3000 miles and probably will do the same with synthetic. I feel that there will always be contaminants in the oil within 3000 miles (water, varnish, etc.) that can only be removed by a change. Since I live in Minnesota, cold weather start-up, fuel economy, and keeping the internals of the engine as clean as possible are the most important reasons I'm looking at synthetics. There must be reasons that the Viper, Corvette, other sports cars and even the CRD either use from the factory or recommend synthetic oil as a replacement.

dunno if you read the tests, but it's actually better for you to leave synth a lil longer than every 3k miles. they went over 10k, or eay over 10k on their tests......and found that it was actually performing better at that mileage range.

as far as the high performance cars and stuff are concerned, synth is spose to be more slippier, hence it makes the engine work less....also it doesnt break down on heat as fast as dino..

as far as fuel econ is concerned, after switching over...i went from getting about 17 or so on highway to about 19 (im rounding up, it was like 18.XXXXX) and this was w/ me being too generous on the gas.
this was like way back when i first changed it. i drive a lil too lively, so my numbers arent exactly great. im due up for a change soon, and i'll do new tests (on mpg) soon.

like i mentioned before in my previous posts, she just feels better w/ it.
even after over 5k she still feels as if she's got new oil

just use a good oil filter to go w/ the synth.

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
mpg

Yes, My MPG's went up a few too

I change mine about every 7500 mi in all my vehicles. Mobile 1 for liability reasons suggest you change it at whatever your maximum interval is...usually the new max's are (hiway driving 7500)

MNMiata

Reaction score
Here's 2¢ more....

I am in Minnesota too. Starting with the third oil-change (to allow proper break-in and ring/bearing seating) I switched over to synthetic oil. Mobil 1 5w/30 in my case. I have run it since then and we have about 38,000 miles on our 2002 Libby now. I change it out at 5,000 mile intervals.

The synthetic oil is especially good for cold temp flow and gets to the top of the engine pretty quick on those cold MN mornings. If you listen, you can hear the lifters quiet down when they get oil. It's only a couple or three seconds with the synthetic and can be quite a bit longer with regular oil.

As for mileage... I never kept track of it before/after the switch. Since that was not my main interest in using synthetic oil I didn't check.

I've run synthetics in our vehicles for years, due to the good cold start engine oiling performance and the ability to move to longer service intervals without sludging up the engine. You could run synthetic much longer than I do (5,000 mi.) since it does not break down as quickly as regular oil, but I just feel better changing it more often and getting a fresh oil filter in the loop.

It's hard to make a straight money argument for synthetic. If you change it out as often as I do, then it is more expensive by far than conventional oil. But I view it as an investment in the longevity of our Jeep.

(Also, if I lived in a warmer climate, or we drove the Libby on long trips regularly, then I'd probably go with 10w-30 during summer months.)

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CRD's have 0W40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic as factory fill.....if none's available at oil change time, the manual says 5W40 Full Synthetic can be used. I've often wondered how full synthetic as a factory fill can ultimately affect break-in of the engine. The manual says drain intervals of 12,500 miles under schedule "a" and 6,250 miles under schedule "b". I think I'll stick to 6k miles or so and rotate every time. I'd be reluctant to chance an OEM filter doing its job for 12.5k miles.......6.25k miles is pushing it in my opinion.
Greg

the1jferg

Banned
Reaction score
thats it

MNM,

That (lifter thing) has got to be the best indicator discription I've heard yet.

You are right, when I switched to syn my lifters silenced very quickly

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
The CRD's have 0W40 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic as factory fill.....

Is this a good oil for the standard engine or just the CRD? I have some 0w-40 on hand, but Mobil recommends 10w-30 full-synth Mobil 1 for the Liberty.

Guyute1210

Reaction score
What would using Synth and changing it out later than 3k miles do for the schedule 'B' warrenty changes that states it needs to be done every 3k miles or your drive train warrenty may end up being void?

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tomjonesrocks said:
Is this a good oil for the standard engine or just the CRD? I have some 0w-40 on hand, but Mobil recommends 10w-30 full-synth Mobil 1 for the Liberty.

Can't answer that; 0W40 is specified for the CRD's though. I think it's around 6.4 quarts + filter capacity.
Greg

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have run with Mobil 1 for 285,000 Km in the Saab. Found it great for REAL cold weather starts (-40), which used to confound the old Chevy. Don't really know if syn helped, but once when a serpentine pulley broke and the coolant temp went way over the top, the engine just kept on ticking - sort of like the old TV ad.

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tomjonesrocks said:
-=JoN=- said:
just use a good oil filter to go w/ the synth.

Any recommendations for this?

Been running K&N Gold - HP2009 in my 3.7 for the past 2 years. Great filter.

You can't go wrong with Mobil-1 filter either.

Tom D

Reaction score
I've used Castrol Syntec in all of my cars, motorcycles and other I/C powered items for the past or 20 years or so. Several years back I saw the results of a test conducted by running a group of identical chevy small blocks for over a long time (I seem to recall it was several months) under the same conditions (engine load, throttle setting, etc). After tearing them down & "Miking" the usual wear items, they weren't able to measure any wear at all in the one that used the syntec. This test was done at the time by an independant research lab which was not hired by any of the oil mfgs. or their affiliates. That being said, I just sold a 1995 Dodge Ram Wagon (passenger van) that has the 318 (5.2L) in it. The guy that bought it sent a mechanic-on-wheels to the house to give it his blessing. The compression was 100% of spec after 10 yrs. & 104,000 miles. Also, these wasn't even a trace of deposits anywhere. In the 10 years I had it I never did anything with the motor beyond belts, tune-ups & a water pump. Not even a new PCV valve was necessary. I attribute that to the Syntec. I know Mobil-1 is a great product, but I'm sticking with what I know to be proven.

If you're in a warm climate go with the Syntec 20/50W.
If not, use the 5/50W.

My Liberty only has 500 miles on it now. But, when it reaches the 1st oil change at 3,000 and the motor's well broken-in, you know what's going in the crankcase.

FYI: For those who might not already know, one of the worst things you can do is run synthetic oil in a new vehicle. The stuff lubricates TOO well, and won't allow the small amount of wear and seating necessary for proper engine break-in.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would follow the manual in terms of oil changes, just until the warrenty expires, just so the dealer doesn't give you the business. I run mobile one in the Liberty, and I am changing it every 7500 miles. It added 1 mpg or so to my fuel economy and it just feels better. however, at the next oil change I am switching over to Amsoil. I am not going to run it as long as they say it will go, they guarentee an outragous amount of mileage between changes, something like 25K or something, not sure--its late and I can't remember, but they have an actual gurantee if you follow their recommendations. I have no issue with the Mobile One, but I am switching just because a friend is a dealer. I will still change it every 7500 miles.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guyute1210 said:
What would using Synth and changing it out later than 3k miles do for the schedule 'B' warrenty changes that states it needs to be done every 3k miles or your drive train warrenty may end up being void?

I also have this concern. I can't imagine the dealer wouldn't make an exception or at least put a note in the computer about this, especially if your having your changes done at the dealer. But who knows--maybe the dealer wants to make sure they see you every 3,000 miles--ridiculous.

Anyone have an answer for this?

Latest posts

Members online