suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about tightening the handling up on my KJ with some 18 inch rims, I'll be using the stock springs of course cause i don't want to change the ride height and some better shocks and struts. What kind of struts and shocks would you guys recommend, I know KYB and Koni are good. What do you guys think?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Koni, Bilstein are the best.
Personally I would also replace the front stock springs as well. You do not have to do a lift spring, but the sock springs are minimal thickness and tend to sag quickly. If you really want the best go to OME stock height spring and Koni strut.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure you can only get ranchos when u have a lift IIRC, the collapsed length isnt enough I think...but the OME shocks, the NL's you can use on a stock suspension

I don't see why.

As far as I know, all front struts are the same length, and you don't have to go with the longer rears, just get stock rears. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

karter

Reaction score
Just replaced my factory shocks with 75k on them about a month ago with Bilsteins . Huge improvement in ride quality as well as directional stability .

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you manage to find a place to order front stock springs from, let me know. I've been through one debacle after another trying to get some. I've called three different warehouses and all have told me they don't have any. Of course, their websites still list them for sale even though they don't actually have them.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
oh dood, 18s will not only improve his handling, but it will jack him straight up to BALLA status y0

In all seriousness, though, an H or V rated 235/60-18 will make a dramatic improvement in the handling, although a load range E 225/75-16 mud tire would do the exact same thing and not make him look like a "wannabe playa"

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you manage to find a place to order front stock springs from, let me know. I've been through one debacle after another trying to get some. I've called three different warehouses and all have told me they don't have any. Of course, their websites still list them for sale even though they don't actually have them.

Why not just get OME light duty then? Minimal lift if any, and I am sure cheaper than MOPAR.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
OME light duties will still lift him 2". He might as well get the HD's and get the full badass Jeep experience if he's going to lift at all. It's not like it costs more :D