Subwoofer install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jholmes

Reaction score
I was hoping some of you guys can help me out here...

I ended up picking up a 2003 Liberty Sport from my cousin's company at about 4k off wholesale price, so I'm going to pick up the jeep next weekend. In the meantime, I've been trying to figure out what to do with the stereo and subwoofer. (Can't take up all the cargo area)

My idea is to build a sub box that is approximately 6-7 inches tall that encompasses the entire bottom of the jeep liberty cargo area. (if that makes sense)

The box would have a built in amp rack with the amps recessed into the box so the amp and sub are flush with the top of the box, thereby allowing items to be places in the back of the cargo area. Since the seats don't seem to fold completely flat, my idea is also to mount another board onto the sub-box which will fold out to meet with the folded down seats and create a buffer between the 6 inches of the "sub/false-floor" and the folded down seats, thereby creating a somewhat flat floor...

Q:
Has anybody seen this done elsewhere?
Does anyone see any potential problems?
And since I dont have the jeep yet, can anyone measure the interior dimensions of their liberty cargo area for me so I can start figuring out how many cubic feet the box can be.. and what i need to put in it...

I'll of course be taking photos all along the way.

I'm starting out with the Pioneer DEH-P9800BT CD Receiver with Bluetooth, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4QFsOfr24vH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=pioneer+bluetooth&i=130DEHP980
Polk Audio db 650 for the rears http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4QFsOfr24vH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=107DB6500
and Polk Audio db6500 for the fronts. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4QFsOfr24vH/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=107DB650

I plan to run them off some old-school Rockford Fosgate amps. a Punch 240x4 and a Punch 200x2.

Right now I have 2 10" Orion DVC subs, but will probably have to scrap them in favor of one 10 or one 12..

I'm not looking to win any SPL competitions, just have something fun and functional.

Pleae reply and let me know what you think.

DannyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy a bozooka tube. cheap sounds good and doesent take up anyspace you can get a 10 that fits into the side from the dealer or online

jholmes

Reaction score
I did indeed see your sub install...

It made me think of putting my sub under the passenger seat as well, but I'm getting one of the 3 inch deep 10" pioneer subs.. so I was going to make a 4 inch deep box for the cargo area.... which is where you're putting the amp rack... so I figure I'll go with my original plan...

Keep me updated on the amp rack, I'd love to see pics... how do you plan on installing the amps? Ie: flush mounted, in an enclosed vented amp enclosure? etc...

Rescu2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amp rack will be enclosed with a lid that opens. It'll be completely carpeted on top so that it looks like the floorboard when you look in (Stealth install). When it is open, the lid will raise against the back seats and have a mirror on the underside. I'll have fans to circulate the air. I've got the rack made, I just need to decide how to do the part in the back where it will taper down to the door molding. I would like to have a section of that area that also opens and has storage for tools that sit in form-fitting foam (no rattling). Just general tools for the jeep (Sockets, ratchets, scredrivers, etc). Pics will be coming soon, once it's complete (probably this weekend. Been working 12+ hours a day)

Rescu2000

IVIike13

Reaction score
firstoff dont buy crutch field they have good customer service but way over priced go to sonicselectronix.com or woofersetc.com they both have amazing prices if you want give me a budget and ill find the best everything you want within your price range

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLRockies said:
It's a bit higher-level than the product that you're considering, but the Stealthbox that's made for the Liberty is an excellent option. It offers excellent sound quality and output while conserving a lot of space in the cargo area. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1410

I like how it says it's for "2000-up Jeep Liberty". Looks nice though...how much would one be and can you get it amped already?

My opinion...go with the Infinity Basslink, big big sound out of very small unit. It's already powered (200w), cheap, and takes up very little space.

carterdea

Reaction score
I looked into it, they are $500 everywhere. They must be special ordered so you can't go listen to one. At least that's what the dealers here in AZ said.

carterdea

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carterdea said:
I looked into it, they are $500 everywhere. They must be special ordered so you can't go listen to one. At least that's what the dealers here in AZ said.

carterdea

the stealbox or the basslink?

carterdea

Reaction score
Stealthbox.

He said they sound great, and all my friends who have JL love there's, but I got my Polk DB104 for $35 and my Q-logic 1x10 sealed box for $60, so I saved myself about $400. And it POUNDS. I'm way suprised, but I think the liberty is a great car for bass. I'm happy.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was thnking of getting basslink or kenwood slim one to hide it away some place and keep my cargo space, but I guess I will be wrong with that, I might end up getting a bazooka or kicker.. I just need some courage to attempt installation and get it through firewall somehow

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're unsure about installing it yourself, you could always take it somewhere and pay em to do it for you. that's what I should have done in the first place. I had to take mine to the local car audio shop and have them run the power wire through the firewall and fix the gasket that I busted out. they only charged me $40 to do it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
if you're unsure about installing it yourself, you could always take it somewhere and pay em to do it for you. that's what I should have done in the first place. I had to take mine to the local car audio shop and have them run the power wire through the firewall and fix the gasket that I busted out. they only charged me $40 to do it.

I just can't trust them. I feel that they might scratch things up when installing the cables from back of the radio or mess up the cables back there.. Maybe I can just ask them to run the wires and get it ready, and I could probably connect it myself..

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did. I ran the wires from the back of the radio (rca cables and remote wire) and to the cargo area myself. I also did the ground myself. I ran the power wire from the cargo area to the firewall, and that's where I let them take over. I tried it myself first, but messed up the seal around the big thing of wires going through the firewall so that's when I took it and let them actaully run the power wire through the firewall.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
06Liberty said:
That's pretty much what I did. I ran the wires from the back of the radio (rca cables and remote wire) and to the cargo area myself. I also did the ground myself. I ran the power wire from the cargo area to the firewall, and that's where I let them take over. I tried it myself first, but messed up the seal around the big thing of wires going through the firewall so that's when I took it and let them actaully run the power wire through the firewall.

How did you mess up, I remember reading your write up, but that hole was pretty tight, right? Anyway, I think it is much safer to get someone professional do that. :)

Any comments on that slimline woofers or they are not that worth it, get the huge one?

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when I first ran the power wire through the firewall I didn't know about that little access hole that Corwynn did a "how to" about. The main wiring harness (the biggest jumble of wires) that goes through the firewall has a rubber gasket around it that seals it from the engine compartment. I pushed that rubber gasket all the way out of its hole when I was trying to run the wire through it, and then I couldn't get it back in there the way it belonged. So that's when I took it and had a "proffesional" do it. They said that people do that all the time and that they even do it sometimes too.

As for the slimline, Kenwood right? If it's the one I'm thinking of then Crutchfield did a comparison between the Infinity Basslink and the Kenwood WOOX and the Kenwood did pretty good but it basically said that size matters. The Basslink edged out the Kenwood in sound quality. Here's the link to it so you can read all about it.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/reviews/20040413/bass_reviews.html

I may be prejudice because I have the Basslink, but it really is impressive. Everyone who gets in my Jeep for the first time and hears that little thing is absolutely amazed...BEFORE they look at its size, then they're baffled as to how all that bass can come out of such a small sub. You've seen the pics of mine installed and there are others on here too that have one, you don't really lose that much space unless you have to fold down BOTH seats pretty often, then I guess it might be a pain.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I totally agree with your comment about the size. The reason I was just skipping basslink was because of its size, I thought I might as well get a full sized subwoofer since basslink still occupies some space there, and I thought they would be better protected against scratches, etc.

If I can sell my stock cd-changer, that'll be my source for the subwoofer.

jimheem

Reaction score
I had a basslink in my Wrangler, and it sounded REALLY good. I expected just a little bit of lower end boost out of it, but it was much more than I expected. Unfortunatley, it got stolen, but thats what I get for leaving the top down all the time.