stubborn AC valve core

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I had my AC compressor replaced a couple weeks a go.
I can not add any refrigerant because the valve core was bent and would not make a connection allowing the refrigerant to enter.
I have tried removing the core several times but no luck.
I have used needle nose(yes I was able to fit them inside the valve)and I have tried the screwdriver type tool as shown here

These are the ones Oreillys sold me;

You must be registered for see images attach

Or do I need one like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant remember if both the high and low ports had the bigger core or just one of them did, but I did use the bigger core on at least one of my ports.

Reaction score
Had a look at my neighbors KJ.To my eyes,it looks like it takes the brass colored one.The ones shown in the package appear to be too small.I don't even remember if the Oreilly's guy asked me about make model and year.I think he just said,"You're gonna need this...and this".
So I still have not got it removed.The tool wont fit on it.I can grab it with the needle nose,and twist and tug(gently)but no luck yet.
Thinking of calling the guy that worked on my heat exchanger a few months back.Even though he's not a mechanic,i woulf think he's had experience with stuck AC valve cores.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are doing the skinny port, low side, it takes the fat valve core.

MasterCool makes an extraction tool with both size stems.

The fat port, high side, takes the skinny valve care.

Go figure!

I’m in the same stuck situation as you. My low side core will not budge. Even with vise grips on the tool.

All it did was snap the driver part of the valve stem and I have debris now in the port.

Going to try it in better light and see if I can save it.

100 bucks for a new line is a bit steep. Might be able to braze an aluminum repair port onto the line.

Long time since I played with the torch and aluminum.

Latest posts

Members online