Strange thing at the Car Wash - get out, push the Jeep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y-Guy

Reaction score
So on Friday anticipating installing the new hitch I figured I'd run the Jeep through the Mister Car Wash. Taken my F350, LeBaron, Catera, Avalanche - you name it right through the wash. I pull up and the guy says we'll drive it through. I reminded him I just wanted the cheap wash, you know I drive in suds, scrub, water and blow dry - I'll do the windows and floor mats.

Then he says nope policy all Jeeps, they drive them thorugh. Then tells me the engine will be off they will honk a horn for me to come get the Jeep and drive off. WTH? Said they had a Jeep get away from them back East. Never heard of such BS.

Anyone else run into this?

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember there was a story that some Jeep caught fire in a car wash. Something to do with it perhaps?

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s hogwash. If a vehicle suddenly accelerates in a car wash, it’s generally because some dude “workin’ at the car wash baby” is dancing with two left feet—stepping on the gas pedal instead of the brake. That’s not my opinion, that’s the conclusion reached in studies conducted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and other government and independent agencies.

Based on the way this is written, I'm thinking this is not an official response.

If a Jeep were to suddenly accelerate, I wonder why it would decide to do it only at a car wash? Maybe the Jeep's feel they look better dirty...?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like people confusing the gas and brake. Happens alot more than people think, just ask any police officer or accident investigator.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is on the N, how will it accel? this is crazy talk, and they are either blaming jeeps or making some publicity out of it.
Thanks.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was little (only 23 now) someone in my hometown was killed because a GC accelerated in a carwash, took out a supporting pillar and part of the roof collapsed. I didn't know her, but she was my best friend's sister's friend. FWIW

2003KJ

Reaction score
I will say this...

The ONE TIME in my life i've taken my vehicle to one of those type places, and it was the KJ, they did it similar to the method you're talking about. I got out, the attendant drove it up, vacuumed the inside, and it went through the car wash, engine OFF, transmission in NEUTRAL. When done, the attendant got in it, started it back up to move it and they finished the inside.

They ALSO removed my radio antenna, and mangled that plastic piece at the bast of the antenna, trying to get it off with a wrench. When I asked why they were taking it off, he said "our car wash takes the antennas off these Liberty's all the time."

Y-Guy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and the links, seems they labeled all Jeeps not just the GC. I may point that out if I go in there again.

Normally I do like to wash at home, but when its 10 degrees I don't need a sheet of ice on my driveway.

Guess its good to know the guy wasn't feeding me a line of BS.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Y-Guy said:
Normally I do like to wash at home, but when its 10 degrees I don't need a sheet of ice on my driveway.

Sure ya do!!!! Thats what 4x4 is for!!!! \:D/