Strange behaviour of fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieterh

Reaction score
Hi,

strange behaviour of my CRD´s fuel gauge: Sometimes it indicates empty, even if the tank is full ore it has more than 50%. The indicator light shows “empty”, the information display says “0 miles to empty”.
If the car runs for a while, the fuel gauge rises step-by-step (maybe one step per minute), after 10 minutes the indication of the fuel gauge as well as the “rest-miles” are o.k..
Is this problem known?

BR.,

Dieter

PETER BLANCHE

Reaction score
hi, i have the same problem with my 2006 crd 2.8 sport. fuel gauge goes down to zero with the low fuel warning light coming on , my gauge and light will eventually return to mormal if i continue in a straight line for a few minutes. this may just be one f those problems that we have to learn to live with. i read somewhere that this is a problem due to the fuel sloshing around in the tank comebined with a oversensitive sensor unless
any of you guys know how it can be resolved.sorry i cant be more helpful......peter...uk

GBKJ2003

Reaction score
Hi there
I had the same problem in my 2003 CRD KJ. The sender unit float was sticking in the tank.I was going to install the Cummins/Dodge lift pump unit to cure it but I ended up swapping the tank to get it to fit as the 2003 model tank sender unit and head is different from later tanks.All working fine now with no problems with fuel readings I would recommend the lift pump too.:D

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 05 Sport CRD, the blasted thing won't even come down to the "Full" mark until I burn off 4 gallons after a fillup - anywhere from 80 to 120 miles depending on the type of driving I'm doing.

I've noticed it doing something similar after only a partial fill - sloshing in a few gallons until the end of the week - taking several minutes to come up to the actual level.