Stick with What you know!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my latest tires (Pathfinder All-Terrains) 265/70/16's, I was convinced that I found a great set of tires for a great deal. Well I have had some personal experience with these tires while only having them for less than 3 months, experience that I never saw on any previous A/T tire that I owned b4.

1.) When going off-roading with Miah, I found that the tires did not perform nearly as good as his BFG A/T's. I instilled in my head that this was a small loss, due to the fact that I rarely take the Jeep off-road.

2.) I always knew that tires can wear unevenly, but to get tire pull is just a pain in the ****. I've had tire pull for the last couple weeks, something that I never had with previously owned A/T's.

3.) NAIL. I received my first nail which has been stuck in my tire for about 2 days. The head of the nail is flush with the tread, and I *believed* I would not have a problem. I would take the tire in this coming week and have it repaired. No biggie!! Well....It becomes a biggie when the tire deflates. I can't even believe that I lost 28 pounds of air just because of this silly nail that is not bent, but flush against the tire. It should've acted as its own seal, or it should have never penetrated the tube!!

REMEMBER THIS STORY OF MINE:
REVO Versus Razor Blade

QUESTION:
I bought the tires at Discount Tire at the end of March. I have about 5000 miles on them, but they look to have really good tread. The spare is about to have no more than 150 miles on it after this weekend. DO YOU THINK THAT I CAN GET A PRO-RATE ON THE TIRES?? THEN PUT SOME MONEY TOWARDS REAL A/T's (BFG, FIRESTONE, M/T's)???

I will appreciate all the responses. I plan to head out to Pep Boys this Monday. I'm crossing my fingers.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I won't say anything about A/Ts, I'm sure ya'll know my opinion.

Are you referring to bumpsteer as tire pull? If so that is an alignment problem, probably not the tires fault as evidenced by your uneven wear patterns.

Nails or other debris isn't the tires fault. I'm sure you're pissed about going wheeling in a dumping ground, but don't blame the tires.

Do you feel better now? =; [-X \:D/

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
QUESTION:
I bought the tires at Discount Tire at the end of March. I have about 5000 miles on them, but they look to have really good tread. The spare is about to have no more than 150 miles on it after this weekend. DO YOU THINK THAT I CAN GET A PRO-RATE ON THE TIRES?? THEN PUT SOME MONEY TOWARDS REAL A/T's (BFG, FIRESTONE, M/T's)???

I will appreciate all the responses. I plan to head out to Pep Boys this Monday. I'm crossing my fingers.

PHIL!!!!!!!!!

Didn't you get the road hazard insurance? I bought my tires from Discount Tire also; and if anything happens to mine I get a new tire, free.

I'll show you the HORRENDOUS (blarg)tread wear that I am getting on my BFGs tommorrow. I probably should not have put them on these stock rims, the uneven wear is gonna haunt me.

This isn't going to affect our trip is it?

As far as prorating the tires, I dont think they will go for that. Used tires sell for almost nothing even if they have just barely been used. I wouldnt say it isnt worth a try though.

These BFGs are great for the little bit of extra perfermance I got over you but the extra rubbing that you dont have to deal with makes me want your tires.

Mutt said:
I'm sure you're pissed about going wheeling in a dumping ground, but don't blame the tires.

Hey man, theres no reason to hate on our choice of wheeling locations, if we enjoyed it then thats all that matters.
You dont have to diss it. hah.gif chairshot.gif

Also, please explain "bump-steer", and what about stop-steer(I made that one up, but I think you understand).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had BFG A/T's on a prior truck and they were good on and off road and lasted a long time. I guess they were worth the price. They would not be as good as a M/T off road though. So it depends on your usage.

I would try to get a pro-rate as you suggested. I guess good tires are expensive. Doesn't hurt to try. I've been told by a friend using REVO's that they are good also but I havn't had any personal experience with them.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THanks all. I was nervous after buying the tires if I made a good choice. I'll just give them time and run with them. I do have the insurance so I'll just go back up there and get it exchanged.

Mutt said:
Nails or other debris isn't the tires fault. I'm sure you're pissed about going wheeling in a dumping ground, but don't blame the tires.

I just got the nail a couple days ago, not when I was wheeling.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
I just got the nail a couple days ago, not when I was wheeling.

Alright then, which one of your co-workers did you piss off?

This is posted tongue in cheek, as was last nights. Humor just doesn't relay well over the internet.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Also, please explain "bump-steer", and what about stop-steer(I made that one up, but I think you understand).

Bump steer is when your wheels steer themselves without input from the steering wheel. This undesirable steering is caused by bumps and other irregularities in the road surface interacting with improper length or angle of your suspension and/or steering linkages.

I'm guessing, "Stop steer" is when your frontend wallows and moves around under braking. That is also bump steer.

Front end alignment is most likely the cause as denoted by the uneven tread wear on the tires. It's also possible that there are some worn suspension parts, tie rod ends etc; but would check the alignment first.

Remember kids, rotate your tires every time you change your oil.