Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see alot of people have some kind of steering noise or clunk issue......mine does it also. Only when it is hot and been driven a bit....when the engine is cold, lock to lock is perfect. Drive it a bunch and it clunks and pops......anyone know the issue?
Rack bushings appear ok and rack does not move......plus the whole cold thing would lend me to think it is not that.....and be internal
Thanks

Ken

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using the right fluid? Are there any kinks in the hoses? I know mine had the bushing partially dissolve from the oil filter swap outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine seems to make the clunk warm or cold. Ordered the rack bushings from RockAuto 27.00 shipped got them in two days, plan on changing later this week.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so far.......please let me know if changing the bushings fixes your clunk
Its still the factory fluid from 06......maybe i should start there and pump it out and get some newer in there......
Ken

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing some searching......seems that the bushings have a tendency to disintegrate and cause this noise......when the rain stops i will go take a better look......just might have to do the bushings......
Ken

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what a bad steering rack bushing looks like: Up & down/Sideways movement.
(ask me how I know) Thanks to Dealer spilling syn oil onto bushing from filter changes,drivers side bushing only bad.
Click on photo to see videos!
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
[/URL]
This is what a CV Clunk sounds like:
"]
[/URL]
And Look at Your Upper A-Arm in full turn from under / behind wheel and see if the spring is making contact with the A-Arm.
Also look at springs for coil bind, where two loops can bang together over a shot/compressed spring.
Check The end links as well for tight & bushings.

Last edited:

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the videos........i will definitely take a closer look at the bushing while someone turns the wheel......after searching it seems to be a pretty common failure. I do all my own oil changes and clean any spilled oil up, but probably have gotten some in the drivers side bushing area. Anyway......if i cannot get to this or change the bushings anytime soon.....my guess is other then some eventual play in the steering (seems all tight now) is there any major safety concern......the rack is still bolted in, just with some slop?
Thanks
Ken

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The rack is not going anywhere as the bolts holds it in place.
The movement however does come from the worn bushing and a slight deviation will occur which is noticeable in turns/corners. Only the drivers side bushing can be replaced without a ton of work. The bushing has to be pressed out from the bottom upwards, so if it is just the driver's side it can be done by removing both bushing bolts, and slide rack slightly ahead to press out the driver's side one. I am in the position where mine is going to stay like this until it gets way worse or I need to replace the whole steering rack which runs about $200 from rock auto. The new rack comes with new bushings. Napa also has the bushings available but I would also recommend the dealer parts as they are better quality.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen some broken R&P steering gears caused by worn mount bushings,it places alot of ectra stress on the passenger side mount which is thin steel welded to the rack.After time it cracks and then breaks off.Done 2 R&P steering gears for that reason at work in the last year.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we are on the topic, how much play is acceptable with the rack vertically? Mine has some play in it vertically but not horizontally.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my rack bushings last Saturday. Four days of driving, the clunk is gone. My steering is smooth and quiet.